System Builder Marathon: The $5,000 Extreme PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]xx12amanxx[/nom]Nice article!I wish i could own a rig like that,but it would be that or a 383 stroker for the F-body..lol I can dream cant I?[/citation]

383 strokers are for copycats. Basically, too many bad 400 blocks and people found a cheap way to re-use the cranks to make their 350's bigger. If you have THIS kind of money, you'd might as well go BIG BORE too. Maybe a bowtie block? At any rate, you'll win more races with a real 400 (or larger custom size) so long as the block is good.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
It is interesting to note on Page 14. On the Sandra XII Multimedia test the Core i7 965 @ 4.2GHz scored 486,971, while the i7 920 @ 4.0GHz scored 386,867. The difference was 200MHz and made such a large difference. Did the Intel SSDs influence such a large gain in performance or the DDR3 @ 1800MHz or perhaps a combination of both?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The 965 has a higher-bandwidth QPI link, so it should be good for boosting at least a few synthetic scores.

gim159

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
BAH!! Why is it always Intel? Only Servers and people that wish they MAC should use Intel stuffs.. Who else is going to use all of it's features? Not gamers, that is for sure!! Like a gamer is going to spend the extra $$ for ECC memory and not spend it on more important stuff like a GC or a great board. That and an economy minded PC buyer will go AMD anytime, more bang for the buck...

Also, Ati is better a better card, for linking I mean. The support may be crap, but it is usually worth it to get them! 4850 X2, Water cool one and watch the clock go through the roof!

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Intel is the fastest thats why...This is supposed to be an uber rig.

Ya crashman thats the problem i dont have that kind of money..lol A fresh stock rebuild bolt on's and spray will have to hold me off until better times!

gim159

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, Optimize the heck out of it and take all of the unnecessary stuff out.. Probably 4 sec boot, Awesome!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]xx12amanxx[/nom]Intel is the fastest thats why...This is supposed to be an uber rig.Ya crashman thats the problem i dont have that kind of money..lol A fresh stock rebuild bolt on's and spray will have to hold me off until better times![/citation]

I spec'd out a friend's 406 C.I. mouse a few years ago and he got through under $4500 with aluminum heads and a roller cam!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... maybe build some AMD based systems too, to see, how they stack up against in price/performance... just for tha fun of it...

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Great article!

HOWEVER, Should have used an Antec1200 for that much coin on the case. I have one at home using water cooling and its so much easier than any other case I've used to date. Cheaper too, in this instance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]_horse[/nom]Great article!HOWEVER, Should have used an Antec1200 for that much coin on the case. I have one at home using water cooling and its so much easier than any other case I've used to date. Cheaper too, in this instance.[/citation]

I've owned both, the Cooler Master is a nicer case. I mean, we're just throwing opinions around now, right?

But the Cosmos S is far more portable, and it fits the big radiator perfectly. In fact, it's the only stock case to fit that radiator properly.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
With a build like that you guys should have tryed to set Crysis with 16 AA!

well it probably wont be playable but it would just be neat to see.

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]I've owned both, the Cooler Master is a nicer case. I mean, we're just throwing opinions around now, right?But the Cosmos S is far more portable, and it fits the big radiator perfectly. In fact, it's the only stock case to fit that radiator properly.[/citation]

Thats true, but I didnt know we were going for portability here, especially with a liquid cooled system.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Nice article.

Question for the writing staff:

Have you thought about taking all your review statistics, and assembling an "uber system" based on the best parts based on what you have found in your review tests?

Just curious. I don't remember that ever having been done before here. And for $5,000, you surely could afford to throw together all of the top notch parts into a system for kind of a "what happens when you put all the best parts together" article.

Now you guys have me itching to build a new system already...and I just built one back in September!! lol

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
That is a really good question too:

With the width of the video cards, where would you plug in a soundcard? Does it use the 3rd PCI-E x16 slot?

Just curious. I've always noticed how the ATX motherboard size standard hasn't shifted to grow with the growth of the size of components, such as video cards and component heatsinks.

Limited room bites. lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]cah027[/nom]Why not 3 liquid cooled 285's. Maybe drop the Blueray and or go down to a 920 in the next one. Keep the SSD's.SSD's are fast but the only benchmarks they matter in are the ones that don't count (synthetics)[/citation]

SSD's are fast but the only benchmarks they matter in are the ones that don't count (synthetics)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Would have been better off (performance-wise) to go with the Swiftech 220 kit to start with...you wouldn't need to upgrade the CPU block, you get a better pump and you could use the dual radiator along with the additional 320 to watercool the GPU's by adding them to the loop. If you are going 'extreme' this isn't that much more above your budget and you would get far more cooling performance.

nakedpants

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Remember when this site actually have good articles and reviews? No one cares about a $5000 PC rig that is unattainable for the even the hardcore PC enthusiast

Status
Not open for further replies.