Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Not an expert.
But learning and trying my best.

I bought Thermaltake V21.
MSI B550M
Ryzen 5
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb DDR 3000MHx

1. Making of a decent system? Any advice? (Mainly Office, browsing, occasional video/photoshop.)
  2. Thinking of a new SSD and keeping old PC as a standby.
  3. Any tips for SSD? Can I buy one of those PCI sticks for general memory?
  4. Power supply? Any recommendations? (I don't know how important is is.)
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
WHAT "Ryzen 5" are we talking about here?

In case you don't realize it, you will also need a graphics card unless you buy a Ryzen model that ends in "G", as those are the only ones with integrated graphics, OR buy one of the upcoming Ryzen models that will all have integrated graphics.

Also, not that there's anything wrong with that case, but it's a much older model being released about 7 years ago. Is there a specific reason you're interested in that particular case? What are your requirements/preferences for a case, as there are a lot of better choices out there, even if it's a "cube" you're looking for.

As to the memory, Corsair Vengeance probably isn't the best choice for a Ryzen build as most of the Ryzen platforms I've worked with, with some exceptions based on the specific memory kit model, don't like Vengeance memory very much especially if it's the Vengeance LPX variety. Memory needs to be qualified by looking at either the QVL list on the motherboard product page or the memory compatibility chart on the memory manufacturer's website. For Ryzen I highly recommend going with a validated G.Skill memory kit. Knowing the EXACT model of the memory kit you are looking at would enable use to tell if it's compatible or not, but also knowing the CPU is beneficial.

Why don't you outline your full preferences and requirements, in detail, your budget and where you are located so we can look at options actually available to you?

It might turn out that an Intel based system works better for what you need, but lets not make that decision without more information.

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
WHAT "Ryzen 5" are we talking about here?

I thank you for your feedback.
Keep in mind I've already bought some of these items. (Which I think are a step up from my previous system.)

The case I bought recently as it's still being recommended in top ten lists. (I would have preferred a more compact cube but cannot find one.)
The Ryzen is 5600G.
The Corsair Vengeance states CMY 16GX3M2A 1600C9

I don't really have preferences. Not an expert.
Requirements? Mainly Office/Chrome/ Occasional Premiere/After Effects.
Budget, unlimited I guess, but not silly.
Location? SoCal. Why does that matter with Amazon.

It matters because some hardware is not available, or is distinctly more expensive than other comparable hardware, in some countries. And we have members, visitors and users from all over the world so we need to know what country in order to provide region specific, accurate recommendations.

Are you needing to order EVERYTHING from Amazon, because often you can save significantly buy using multiple retailers like Amazon, Newegg, etc.

What exactly do you already have and what do you still need?

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
What exactly do you already have and what do you still need?

Thanks.

I have the case. (Which I can return if advised.)
I have the boxed CPU. (Year old.)
I have the boxed memory. (Year old.)

I need a power supply. (I could perhaps take that from old PC but consider I should buy new.)
I need a hard drive. (Same.)

Regards
Alan

Ok, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I was busy today replacing the power brake booster in my car and it was a real PITA. I do this professionally and I've rarely seen a brake booster require so much to be removed and such a complex procedure. That's what I get for driving a Mazda, and an older one at that, I guess.

So, anyhow, you need a motherboard, power supply, storage, and that's pretty much it since you already have a case, CPU and memory. However, the memory could be a problem so we will TRY to ensure we pick a motherboard that "works" with the memory kit you have but no promises there as that aspect can get complicated sometimes. Especially with Ryzen. ALL generations of Ryzen. Newer generations are much better but as always there can be issues with compatibility even as there is with Intel sometimes.

Probably also need a cooler and fans. The fans that come with that case are not sufficient for the entire build most likely and the stock CPU cooler, well, I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy listening to the CPU cooler fan ramp up, and down, and up, and down, and up, and, well, you annoyed yet? Because you will be with the stock cooler that is VERY "cyclic" and annoying. Get a better cooler and never have to deal with that kind of annoying cycling or harmonics.

Now, here is the thing. Really. Do you NEED this right away, or is it something you "could" wait just a bit for, and I ask for a good reason. That reason is that AMD is releasing new CPU's soon and the expectation is that it will be announced around the 30th and the new products will be available around the middle of September. Now, if you NEED something now, makes sense, and I never would tell somebody to not buy what they need IF they need it now. But both Intel and AMD are supposed to be releasing new products soon so what that likely does is

1. Either provide the potential for a bump in performance at or near the same price as what's available now.

2. Or, definitely offer the potential for better performance for less since ALL of the Ryzen processors from the upcoming release will have integrated graphics and you don't have to pay a premium for a lower core, lower performing SKU just to get graphics included.

3. We've never really seen Intel and AMD both release new products at the exact same time, so what this MIGHT do is create a heck of a competitive atmosphere where the buyer wins, for once.

If you really need to do something now, I'm happy to help, and I'm happy to help even if you're willing to wait and revisit it once the releases of new products happens, but I figure it was the best and most honest approach to let you know the reality of the situation so you could make that call yourself, as an informed decision.

And no worries, if you decide you want to wait and see what shakes out, I'm happy to stay with you on it and help guide you through that scenario if you choose to. Either way, it's all good.