Question System cannot detect pendrive

Major504

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
I have 64GB pendrive, which for unknown reason works perfectly fine on my laptops and smartphone, but not on my PC. When i plug it in it shows device cannot be detected error. There is absolutely no sign of it in the system, it only shows in device manager as device that cannot be used.
It started to happen after i have installed linux on it, but even after format (on my laptop, because pc cannot detect it) it still doesn't work.
I'm out of ideas how to fix it.

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Have you tried plugging in any other USB sticks into the USB ports, if it doesn't detect those the USB drivers may corrupted and would require re installation, Also try plugging it into every USB port and see what happens if all of this fails then it may be a broken USB controller on your motherboard, If so you will have to replace your motherboard unless your willing to live without data transfer on your PC.

Major504

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Have you tried plugging in any other USB sticks into the USB ports, if it doesn't detect those the USB drivers may corrupted and would require re installation, Also try plugging it into every USB port and see what happens if all of this fails then it may be a broken USB controller on your motherboard, If so you will have to replace your motherboard unless your willing to live without data transfer on your PC.
Other USB devices work as they should. I have tried all USB ports.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Goto motherboard support website and install the latest USB drivers for your chipset. USB works by a 'handshake', so if the pc doesn't recognise the pendrive as actually being a data device, the only thing it'll do is use that port as a charging port, not a data port. Can also websearch the pendrive, see if there's any device drivers for pc. Windows has universal drivers, Linux Mebe not.

Major504

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Well i have Windows 10 on both PC and laptop and it only works on laptop. I bet that linux installation on pendrive messed it up, but why laptop detects it, and PC not? I will check if there are new USB drivers available. In the worst case scenario nothing will change.

Major504

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Installator suggests repair or removal, it seems i already have these drivers. BIOS is detecting that pendrive.
It feels like PC windows automatically "rejects" this specific pendrive. Solution would be somehow resetting it, but i don't know how. I already tried removing it in device manager.