Question System Clock Running Fast

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
MB is at least 20 years old. A couple of months ago I pulled the MB to replace 3 blown caps. Since then, I've noticed that my Windows clock runs fast by maybe a minute or two per day.

At one point, when the clock was 12 minutes ahead, I booted into the BIOS and saw that clock was also fast by the same amount. I corrected the time and restarted Windows after which the OS reported the correct time.... but it continues to gain time on the clock as it runs.

Does not matter if I set the time to be synced to Nist, or Windows Time.

Before soldering the capacitors, I did remove the CPU and the RAM, but I did not remove the CMOS battery, nor did I replace it b4 putting the system back together. (the battery had been replaced within the prior year.) After the repair I had not made any changes to the BIOS settings, or any changes to any software.

So I'm obviously thinking I over heated and damaged something during the repair.... but I'm hoping there's another explanation.

Suggestions?

It has nothing to do with the repair.

An old quartz clock can fast or slow, even with a brand new battery.

Anyway if you want to keep that 20yo motherboard, you can set your Windows to sync the clock with network time each time you start the computer.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
I set Windows Clock to now sync with Internet Time twice a day.

If this resolves the issue, then I'll need to figure out how to make the same change to Linux Mint. (machine dual boots).

Thanks,
Wolf