[SOLVED] System Comparison

kanewarriors

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
Hi Everyone. I am trying to decide between these two systems.

1. HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF (A Grade OFF-LEASE) Intel Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz ,4GB RAM, 500GB HDD Win 10 Pro or

2. Toshiba Tecra R850 Notebook (A Grade OFF-LEASE)Intel i5 2520M 2.5GHz 4GB 128GB 15.6"DVDRW Win10Pro

One of them is a desktop and one a notebook. Will only be used for Microsoft Office, browsing the web, Skype etc. More of a backup computer.

Both are the same price. The portability of the notebook is a plus but I probably won't need to take it anywhere so it's not a massive factor for me, I just want the best value for money.

Thanks guys and look forward to your advice.

Solution
the desktop is better by far, though it is still a 7+ year old set-up.

keep in mind that if you have any mobo or cpu issues with it, you won't find any replacement for cheap. so this is basically a disposable pc that you'll dump as soon as any problem arises!!

i hope it is real cheap cause for a few hundred bucks you can build a new pc with a ryzen apu that is leaps and bounds better. especially cheap if you have any parts to reuse like a case or hdd.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

keep in mind that if you have any mobo or cpu issues with it, you won't find any replacement for cheap. so this is basically a disposable pc that you'll dump as soon as any problem arises!!

i hope it is real cheap cause for a few hundred bucks you can build a new pc with a ryzen apu that is leaps and bounds better. especially cheap if you have any parts to reuse like a case or hdd.

Solution

kanewarriors

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018

Thank for your reply and advice Math Geek. They are both pretty cheap. About $180 for the desktop and $150 for the laptop.

My main computer is very good but since I work from home every day I wanted to have a backup in case something goes wrong and it needs repairs etc. So just something that would get me through a week or two while my computer gets repaired.

I'm leaning towards the desktop after your advice and that was what I initially thought. But then I thought about it more and I don't actually have a laptop or tablet so the thought of it started to appeal to me. It's been stressing me out the last few days to be honest haha!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lol, been there myself.

i have both as well and rarely does the laptop leave the house but for basic browsing and such it is nice to do it from the couch with it on my lap :)

$150-180 aint bad for either system. not much more than the price of win 10 by itself so the rest is a bonus!!

chosing either one would not hurt especially for the back-up plans for it.

kanewarriors

Commendable
Jul 27, 2018
lol, been there myself.

i have both as well and rarely does the laptop leave the house but for basic browsing and such it is nice to do it from the couch with it on my lap :)

$150-180 aint bad for either system. not much more than the price of win 10 by itself so the rest is a bonus!!

chosing either one would not hurt especially for the back-up plans for it.

Yea that is definitely the bonus of the laptop.

Another thing that I didn't mention is that my daughter is the owner of the laptop :LOL:

I actually bought it for her for $220 a couple of years ago for her schoolwork. She bought herself a Macbook recently so doesn't need it anymore. So I have to decide whether to buy it back from her for $150 or not and help her out otherwise she can sell it online but don't know if she would get as much for it. Otherwise I will buy the desktop from a tech company.

I think the laptop will suit me in my day to day life alongside my current desktop but if my current desktop did break down I know I would want the Prodesk and not the laptop so I'm torn. I'm considering buying both of them haha!

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
$150 for the laptop.
Yowza, I picked up a Dell ATG with similar specs for $30 a few months ago. What you quoted is pretty steep for a platform that came out 9 years ago.

Edit: Ah just saw it was your family, so that makes sense now.
For general productivity the SSD should help a lot, although you should be able to find something better more advantageously to price. I'd use it for an hour or so and you can see if you'd be comfortable with that hardware against the workload you have so you know what to expect in a backup situation.

TRENDING THREADS