System completely cuts out playing crysis 2

meltingcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello all. Lately I've had a problem that's really baffling me. As you might have guessed, my system completely shuts down when I play Crysis 2 and restarts again a couple of minutes later. My specs are:

intel i7k cpu
corsair 8gb ram
coolermaster silent pro 500 watt psu
asus p8 z68 mother board
asus essence stx sound card
Sapphire HD 6950 FLEX Edition 2GB GPU
samsung 1tb hard drive
NZXT Phantom White Full Tower Case

I first played the game on Ultra settings (which my system should be able to cope with) and the problem occured for the first time. Then I took the graphics down to extreme, had the same problem and then down to very high and still it cut out (my system should easily be able to cope with these settings). So I thought it has to either be a psu or cooling issue. After searching the web for some answers I found that a lot of people came to the same conclusion, so I checked my cpu temperature levels. Running minor tasks my cpu temp is about 34 degrees celcius and mobo temp is about 30. When running crysis 2 the temperature of the cpu reached around 55-60, which is high but i wouldn't have thought it'd be enough to force the entire system to cut out (although when it does cut out it takes a while to restart, almost as though it's trying to cool down). So then I checked out the possibility of it being a psu issue. Many people were saying budget power packs give out far less power than suggested, so I researched my psu and found that it has excellent reviews giving about 84% efficiency, which again should be enough to run my set up. Then Last night I started writing this question and it cut out again, just running the browser.

It seems most likely to be the cooling from that last bit of evidence, but all in all, I'm spent out trying to get to the bottom of this and I'd greatly appreciate some help. I hope somebody can help me here. I never rarely use sites like this but I need a fresh perspective on my problem. Thanks guys.

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Maybe it is the PSU shutting down to avoid it being damaged. The 500W is on the limit for a 6950 and it is a Coolermaster which do not make the best power supplies. If you can swop out your PSU with another PSu, but a good stronger one like Antec and see if it helps.

meltingcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Sweet. Yeah I was convinced it was just that for a while but then it cut out last night when I was just on the browser. I'm not discarding what you've said by any means, I'm just asking whether It could still be that problem even though it cut out when not playing Crysis 2 (but Crysis 2 is what started all this). And thanks for your reply man, so annoying when you've spent 1,500 on making your own system and then it decides to do this. So any help is heavily appreciated.

zero888

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Probably is your PSU. This usually happens when people build systems and focus more on graphics, but always forget about the PSU, thus determining the life span of your own pc. You shouldn't worry as it is an easy fix- return (if possible)/trade- and replace.

-600.700, or 800w should do fine, however go for 800w in case you want to upgrade later on.

zero888

meltingcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Cool thanks for the help man. Although I definitely didn't over look the psu when I was making my own system, originally I was going to get a 900watt so I had room to upgrade, but I was using a forum for tips and advice and everyone wet their pants when I said I was getting a high power psu, like it was some major crime. So I got this one to shut everyone up. Wish I'd gone with my instincts now. But yeah I have a good 750 watt antec that was rated the number 1 mid range psu by bit tech so that should do the trick. Thanks for the help

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

That should sort your problems. Now you can show those people who carried on about you getting a high PSU a thing or two.

500 watts is plenty for that system

Less than 300 watts from the wall when gaming with on oc'd I7-9xx, 320w running Furmark
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4137/amds-gtx-560-ti-counteroffensive-radeon-hd-6950-1gb-xfxs-radeon-hd-6870-black-edition/6

305 from the wall running OCCT's stress test, with an even higher oc on an I7-9xx
http://techgage.com/article/amd_hd_6950_1gb_vs_nvidia_gtx_560_ti_overclocking/10

If they were using 80% efficient power supplies, those numbers would equate to around a 50% load on a 500 watt psu.

PS, the Silent Pro is one of Coolermasters better units, unless faulty it shouldn't be the cause of your problems

meltingcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

In that case, what do you believe the problem could be?

popatim

Titan
If windows shut down due to a cooling issue would would have a message about a thermal event when you restarted. I too suspect your PSU has gone flakey.
In fact shutting down without notice instead of locking up also leads one to beleive it is not an issue with the motherbd unlike where instantly rebooting might be.

meltingcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Oh right, that's strange, I mean the entire system is only about a month or so old and it's a beasty motherboard. Hopefully it is just the psu and it'll be sorted when i stick the new one in. Got two more 200mm fans as well just in case. Thanks for your input :)

meltingcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I installed my new antec 750 watt psu today and have been running Crysis 2 completely maxed out, even with the extra texture pack and direct x 11 and have had a single issue. Thanks for the help on resolving my problem everyone, it's completely sorted :)

TRENDING THREADS