Question System completely freezing w/o BSoD

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi. My PC started acting up recently. Today, my PC completely froze (nothing working, time not changing, ...) for the third time.

I have up to date GPU drivers.
chkdsk doesn't show any bad sectors
RAM test doesn't show any errors.
Virus scan shows nothing.

I managed to pull up multiple instances of Process Explorer on a second monitor and waited for it to heppen again in the hope I'd catch whatever is causing the issue, but everything seems normal. See linked files (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-YHD4Jb4umdMCktKk3sBCf3WVROBCCyv).

As I said, nothing happens, not even a BSoD.

It happened for the first time 4 days ago when being retarded with a tool in Unity 3D, but only then.

I tested a new GPU recently but since then, I have put back the previous one as it was better, keeping the second one for future projects.

It happened today for the first time since the Unity incident whilst playing a game (The Witcher 3), a second time whilst watching a video and a third in the same condition again.

Fans and lights are still running, but HDD light indicator is not showing ANY activity.

GPU is GTX 1060 6GB, 1 yh.

CPU is FX-8320, age unknown, but >2 yh.

PSU is Antec 1000W 80+ Bronze, actual model unknown, age unknown, age >2 yh.

Mobo is Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

HDD is 1Tb WD Blue, 1yh.

RAM is 2x4GB 1600Hz DDR3 from Samsung, 6yh~

Everything worked fine until today.

Last edited:

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Make and model of the new GPU? You need to be specific with the model of that Antec PSU. FYI, that processor shouldn't be paired with that board. If anything I'm worried the board might be failing.

New GPU i tested was an Asus GTX 1060 3GB. Now that I think about it, I did first somehow plug the 6 pin power upside down in it. Lights came on but instantly turned off. Putting it the right way made everything work correctly.

PC part picker link to PSU: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/GDH323/antec-power-supply-tpq1000

I had previous issues with a single system file but now I do suspect the MOBO...