System Config.?

If I go to system configuration utility, service tab. can I stop utilities
that are running such as messenger,telephony, and wireless zero config? Have
checked system for virus. Nothing found, but system takeslonger than normal
to open to desktop. What could be the problem, running out of hair, about all
pulled out. Thanks for any help!

Using "msconfig" disable all applications on the startup tab and then
re-start......I have a feeling it won't make any difference but try it
first.....do you run Nortons? Anything later than 2003 version can have a
significant impact on your boot up speed and frequently beyond. Are you
using propiertary spyware detection? You must....could be a problem in this
area that Spybot and/or Spyware Blaster could quickly deal with.....this sort
of problem is often a process of elimination. You could also try booting up
via the F8 button and selecting "last good configuration to work properly".

"jct883" wrote:

> If I go to system configuration utility, service tab. can I stop utilities
> that are running such as messenger,telephony, and wireless zero config? Have
> checked system for virus. Nothing found, but system takeslonger than normal
> to open to desktop. What could be the problem, running out of hair, about all
> pulled out. Thanks for any help!

In MSconfig move to the last tab called "StartUp" if you see alot of
programs in there like AOL, Quicktime, Realplayer. Uncheck them. They are
very memory hungry.

"jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I go to system configuration utility, service tab. can I stop utilities
> that are running such as messenger,telephony, and wireless zero config?
> Have
> checked system for virus. Nothing found, but system takeslonger than
> normal
> to open to desktop. What could be the problem, running out of hair, about
> all
> pulled out. Thanks for any help!

Also if you see any programs in the startup tab tell us and we will see if
they are good are bad

www.joerm.com

"JoeM" <joem83@msn.com> wrote in message
> In MSconfig move to the last tab called "StartUp" if you see alot of
> programs in there like AOL, Quicktime, Realplayer. Uncheck them. They
> are very memory hungry.
>
> "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If I go to system configuration utility, service tab. can I stop
>> utilities
>> that are running such as messenger,telephony, and wireless zero config?
>> Have
>> checked system for virus. Nothing found, but system takeslonger than
>> normal
>> to open to desktop. What could be the problem, running out of hair, about
>> all
>> pulled out. Thanks for any help!

NO! Use services.msc.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK

[[The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can
disable
services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management
console
(services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is
disabling the service.

The "Disable All" button also scares me. It should not even be there as
no
reason exists to justify disabling "everything."]]
Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:52FF8A62-E139-4246-A6D3-FE838F595A69@microsoft.com,
jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> If I go to system configuration utility, service tab. can I stop
> utilities that are running such as messenger,telephony, and wireless
> zero config? Have checked system for virus. Nothing found, but system
> takeslonger than normal to open to desktop. What could be the
> problem, running out of hair, about all pulled out. Thanks for any
> help!

jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If I go to system configuration utility, service tab. can I stop utilities
>that are running such as messenger,telephony, and wireless zero config? Have
>checked system for virus. Nothing found, but system takeslonger than normal
>to open to desktop. What could be the problem, running out of hair, about all
>pulled out. Thanks for any help!

MSCONFIG should only be used as a temporay measure for testing
purposes. Many applications that put items into the startup
configuration will automatically replace them the next time you launch
that application. The best way of fixing these startup items is to
reconfigure the application itself. Most of the time this is simply a
matter of turning off the "launch at startup" settings in the
configuration screen for that application.

See http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php for information
about specific items in the Startup tab.

For startup services see
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm for advice as to which
startup services can be safely reconfigured and how to do this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP