Question System Constantly Blue Screens

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Got a custom built system. Thermaltake case and Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 and newly installed Windows 10 Pro installed. It boots up fine and then immediately Blue Screen's. Can't get to the point of logging in. I figured it was a bad install of Windows 10 however after doing another clean install on the machine it continuously Blue Screen's. Not sure if the BIOS needs to be updated or what's going on. I can try and get you all as much info as needed to help me.

Thank You

Got a custom built system. Thermaltake case and Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 and newly installed Windows 10 Pro installed. It boots up fine and then immediately Blue Screen's. Can't get to the point of logging in. I figured it was a bad install of Windows 10 however after doing another clean install on the machine it continuously Blue Screen's. Not sure if the BIOS needs to be updated or what's going on. I can try and get you all as much info as needed to help me.

Thank You

That's frustrating for you! The blue screen error can give a clue to what caused the crash- does it mention anything relating the graphics drivers? Or does it come up with a memory error?

If the machine is brand new it could be a faulty (or badly seated) memory module, so one of the first things I check in this situation is to remove all bar one memory modules from the main board and try booting up. If that doesn't work try switching to the other module (assuming you have a pair) and try again, and also try them in different slots. You can also go into the bios and check the memory settings, if it's been set to an 'XMP' profile, try resetting to defaults. It's also worth making sure there are no over clocks applied to the machine and have a look in the bios at temps to make sure everything is running at reasonable temps...

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

Thank You
That's frustrating for you! The blue screen error can give a clue to what caused the crash- does it mention anything relating the graphics drivers? Or does it come up with a memory error?

If the machine is brand new it could be a faulty (or badly seated) memory module, so one of the first things I check in this situation is to remove all bar one memory modules from the main board and try booting up. If that doesn't work try switching to the other module (assuming you have a pair) and try again, and also try them in different slots. You can also go into the bios and check the memory settings, if it's been set to an 'XMP' profile, try resetting to defaults. It's also worth making sure there are no over clocks applied to the machine and have a look in the bios at temps to make sure everything is running at reasonable temps...

Here is the error code: Error 0xc000021a. I did find some articles online to try and fix and none of them work.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That bugcheck 0xc21a is a STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED error. It might mean a user-mode subsystem such as WinLogon is compromised or some software is messing with that, then Windows switches to kernel-mode.

Have you recently restored a restore point in Windows after installation?

Also since bug check 0xc21A occurs in a user-mode process, often, the culprits are third-party applications. Did the error occurr after installation of a new driver, system service, or third-party application or was like this immediately after installing Windows? If so the new software should be removed or disabled and that might help isolate the cause.

Also it is a good idea, as mentioned above, to reset BIOS to default and disable XMP if it's enabled, test with minimum RAM and add one thing at a time to try an isolate the probable cause. Also I'd suggest you run at least 8 passes of memtest with RAM modules one by one (if you have more that one).