Question System crash for unknown reasons help please!

Nov 9, 2021
I built my own computer last year. I used the parts picker site to make sure I was choosing correct components.
Corsair Crystal 680X case, MSI Tomahawk Motherboard, Intel i9 processor, Corsair 850+ Platinum power supply, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2TB SSD, MSI 2070 Super, Corsair Capellix CPU cooler, 8 Corsair QL Fans, 8TB Sata, 10 TB Sata, 6TB Sata, Bluetooth / Wifi card, dual QHD 32" monitors, Windows 10. (If I forgot anything just ask I can tell you what else I used)

This issue only happens while playing video games.
While playing games with it, totally random, it will act like the power plug got pulled. Total power loss immediately. After 10 seconds it will restart itself.
I cannot create the issue on purpose. I can go weeks even months without any problem, then suddenly it starts doing it again.
I have replaced the power supply, the RAM, the Video card, the fans, everything except the CPU, the SSD and the Motherboard.
I have run all kinds of stress tests for GPU, CPU, RAM etc. overnight on it, and it always passes them all.
I have wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 twice, it did not help.
I have consulted with Corsairs highest tech support levels, MSI Video card tech support too, and numerous tech friends and people who build computers for a living.
Nobody can seem to figure out why its doing this. I'm completely stumped. I even replaced the Battery backup power supply its plugged into just in case that was responsible somehow.
Here is an example, yesterday I played a video game for about 4 hours, zero issues. Today I played the exact same video game for less than 60 minutes and poof it acted like someone yanked the power cord and shut down, 10 seconds later it rebooted. The last time prior to this that it happened was about 3 weeks ago.
The computer definitely has the specs that exceed what these games need. I am also using multiple software temperature monitors and there is no heat issue.
I just replaced the video card 5 days ago with a Asus RTX 3070 and it ran fine for 5 days until today.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Nov 9, 2021
did you try to use it without the ups and see also what other device in home is plug to the same breaker as this outlet .
I just ordered a new SSD and a new power supply. Doubt this is going to fix it, unfortunately it can be fine for months before it acts up again, but I'm desperate to figure this out. If the new power supply and SSD dont resolve it, the only things left I have not replaced are the CPU and the motherboard.

Nov 9, 2021
the bios is up to date i would try this use only the os ssd and if your game is on one of the hdd with use this one also did you try memtest on ram and see if you use minimal ram for game what it does .
I've done the memory test, I've done the video card test, I also did a test for the PSU.
I tried moving the game from the Sata HDD to the SSD the OS is on, made no difference. Tech people kept telling me it was an issue with the video card, but now I've replaced the MSI RTX 2070 Super with a Asus RTX 3070 and it ran fine for 5 days then crashed twice yesterday. So far today I played for 3 hours and no crash.
Yesterday crash one was immediate total power loss, 10 seconds later it powered itself back on again. The second crash video and audio froze, computer completely unresponsive, did not turn itself off, but after 10 minutes I finally forced it to power off. The majority of the time the crashes are the immediate and total power loss with 10 seconds later it starts itself up again.

Its not just one game, so far its 3 that it has happened. (Phasmophobia, House Flipper and Diablo 3)
Its completely random as I said I can play the same game for 4 hours a day 5 days a week and it wont happen, then suddenly it will happen 4 times in one day, then stop and wont do it again for a month or so. Its not something I can recreate on purpose. I saw another thread someone else had posted a similar issue and replacing the SSD helped them. So thats why I ordered one. And another thread similar problem someone said it was their PSU. So even though I already replaced the PSU once I'm doing it again just to be sure. I have updated the bios as well, everything is totally up to date.

Nov 9, 2021
the bios is up to date i would try this use only the os ssd and if your game is on one of the hdd with use this one also did you try memtest on ram and see if you use minimal ram for game what it does .
I use 32GB RAM which is overkill for any of those 3 games. And even though the memory passed the test, I replaced it anyway, and it still crashes. Totally intermittent and cannot be replicated by choice, never know when its going to happen.
I have not taken it in anywhere to be tested, because its so randomly intermittent they would have to play games with it for potentially a month or so every day.
The system has been fully tested numerous times and it passes every time with flying colors. So stress tests do not replicate the issue.

Nov 9, 2021
then i would take a magnifier and carefully look at the board for any abnormal parts even the under lining to them .
I've tried looking at it closely but honestly dont even know what I'd be looking for. As this is my first computer build I have nothing else to compare it to. Nothing glaringly obvious seems to be wrong with it.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
could be bubbled capacitor or resistor even a coil that look darker then others and under could be coper lines that are broke did you put the stand off in all the board holder and they dont touch the case the other thing see if when you counnect gpu to monitor that the other shield of gpu cable do not touch case side and made a short to ground .

Reactions: LadyGamer955
Nov 9, 2021
could be bubbled capacitor or resistor even a coil that look darker then others and under could be coper lines that are broke did you put the stand off in all the board holder and they dont touch the case the other thing see if when you counnect gpu to monitor that the other shield of gpu cable do not touch case side and made a short to ground .
Yup I always use a grounding strap when ever I work on it. Its my first build, but not my first time working on a PC. I've done repairs, and upgrades for over 20 years. Just never bothered to build my own until last year. I did not see anything out of the ordinary when I looked at with a bright LED light.

Nov 9, 2021
I installed the new SSD yesterday. Played for 4 hours with no issues. Played an additional 3 hours and had one of the instant off total power loss crashes. So the SSD is not the problem. New power supply arrives today, doubt thats the problem but we'll see.

Nov 9, 2021
Installed 1000W corsair power supply this morning, played games 2 hours no crash. Not going to assume that its fixed because it can go sometimes a month or more without crash then starts happening again. 850W should have been plenty to power my system. Parts picker web site says I could have used 600W.

Nov 9, 2021
nice but powerfull to test the old psu if it hold power use occt to stress test it so it will tel if that was it the issue .
Corsair had me run some tests on it a couple months ago, and it passed all the tests they had me do on it. Perhaps my system really is too powerful for a 850W and it needed the 1000W. Lucky for me the 1000W was on sale for 219, normally almost 499. Flash sale on Amazon.

Nov 9, 2021
keep it on this way since it work and see what happens you could always have whocrashed in system in case it made a minidump let hope it stay on for gaming .
I will definitely be gaming today to see how it goes.
I do have 2 server SATA drives in the computer as storage drives. And wonder if perhaps they consume a lot of power and require the higher wattage power supply. Thats one thing I could not include in the parts picker choices, they are not offered as an option. I have one 8TB and one 10TB that I used for storage.

Nov 9, 2021
since they are use as server i would unplug them and use system then plug one of them test back do the same after for the other and did you test them with the maker software in case of defect .
I ran tests on all the hard drives and the SSD, no issues found. I dont really know what they draw for power tho, so wasnt sure if 850W was enough for them.

Nov 9, 2021
since they are use as server i would unplug them and use system then plug one of them test back do the same after for the other and did you test them with the maker software in case of defect .
I played for 5 hours, and watched a movie on the 2nd monitor just to put stress on it while playing and its running cooler than before, more quiet than before and did not crash. Maybe that was the whole issue, for what I'm running in it, it needs 1000W power supply. Will continue playing this week and hope it stays good.

Nov 9, 2021
I played games all day yesterday without any issue, even watched a movie on the 2nd screen while playing games without issue.
I think all total I played about 7 hours yesterday.
This morning I had been playing for a little over an hour and it just did the instant power off crash. 10 seconds later it rebooted itself, so I guess the power supply is not the issue.
I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next. At this point I have replaced everything but the CPU and the motherboard.