Question System crash, game crash, WHEA errors ?

Ameloma

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Sometimes whole PC crashes and restarts. Sometimes just the game or software crashes. One time I was able to open task manager and after a short while of system pretty much hanging, everything returned to normal. Game crashed though.
These crashes are fairly rare and never happen during stress test (cpu, memory, gpu, combined). They have happened while just browsing the web.

I have updated windows, drivers, bios.
Disabling xmp did not help.

Sometimes I get WHEA 18 errors in event viewer. Usually type is Bus/Interconnect Error but I have had Cache Hierarchy Error also. Usually APIC ID 10. I have had one 0 and one 8 also. I also have ACPI 15 warnings.

SPECS
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
X570 ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO
G Skill F4-3600C16-8GTZNC 4x8GB (32GB) 3600
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Corsair 850W AX Series AX850 Titanium

What are the chances that it is CPU and not some other part? Going to be painful RMA if they can't find a problem with the cpu.

If it was PSU issue, could it really result in WHEA 18 errors? And almost always apid id 10?

Last edited:
Sometimes whole PC crashes and restarts. Sometimes just the game or software crashes. One time I was able to open task manager and after a short while of system pretty much hanging, everything returned to normal. Game crashed though.
These crashes are fairly rare and never happen during stress test (cpu, memory, gpu, combined). They have happened while just browsing the web.

Sometimes I get WHEA 18 errors in event viewer. Usually type is Bus/Interconnect Error but I have had Cache Hierarchy Error also. Usually APIC ID 10. I have had one 0 and one 8 also. I also have ACPI 15 warnings.

SPECS
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X

What are the chances that it is CPU and not some other part? Going to be painful RMA if they can't find a problem with the cpu.

If it was PSU issue, could it really result in WHEA 18 errors? And almost always apid id 10?
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're currently using the latest bios) ver 4201 the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022

SPECS
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X

Hi as i have been struggling for about 1 Year with WHEA uncontrollable errors and trying everything named in forums i recently seem to have found the solution.

I tried disabling XMP which did not really help. Also the problem occured in specific games and even ones not particularly new or demanding.
For me DOTA2 and ANNO1800 and Solasta crown of the magister where some titles who liked to crash.

I found a shaky solution by setting my CPU Voltage to 1.35 Volts. And slowing my RAM to 3200mhz (3800 possible)

Disabling or enabling XMP did not really affect the crahes only slightly less.
And what ia lal tried else bios chipset drivers and bah. Sometimes it even seemd to be worse after specific windows updates before it got better again.

But what REALLY changed my expereince as i had 0 WHEA crahes in the last 4 Weeks was going into the BIOS setting in the CPU section where are seperate power lines ( you know like "ECO" "Normal" "POWER!") And regardless what i selected in the genera overclocking like XMP etc. The cpu power line was ALWAYS on ECO, (im sorry i dont know the exact wording now hope you can find it in your CPU settings) Once i changed that to POWER! or whatever the highest setting is I had no WHEAS whatsoever anymore. After that i enabeld all XMP and put core voltage back to auto also my RAM to auto (3800mhz) and still no issues.

So this little setting which never changed with the other XMP/overclocking things seems to not pump enough voltage into the cores at times which let them crash.

System is a Ryzen 5800x
on an Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570
I spare the rest of the settings as those are anyway different throughout the general problem. Which might explain that also on other boards it is the General "power setting curve" for the CPU.

Last edited:
Hi as i have been struggling for about 1 Year with WHEA uncontrollable errors and trying everything named in forums i recently seem to have found the solution.

I tried disabling XMP which did not really help. Also the problem occured in specific games and even ones not particularly new or demanding.
For me DOTA2 and ANNO1800 and Solasta crown of the magister where some titles who liked to crash.

I found a shaky solution by setting my CPU Voltage to 1.35 Volts. And slowing my RAM to 3200mhz (3800 possible)

Disabling or enabling XMP did not really affect the crahes only slightly less.
And what ia lal tried else bios chipset drivers and bah. Sometimes it even seemd to be worse after specific windows updates before it got better again.

But what REALLY changed my expereince as i had 0 WHEA crahes in the last 4 Weeks was going into the BIOS setting in the CPU section where are seperate power lines ( you know like "ECO" "Normal" "POWER!") And regardless what i selected in the genera overclocking like XMP etc. The cpu power line was ALWAYS on ECO, (im sorry i dont know the exact wording now hope you can find it in your CPU settings) Once i changed that to POWER! or whatever the highest setting is I had no WHEAS whatsoever anymore. After that i enabeld all XMP and put core voltage back to auto also my RAM to auto (3800mhz) and still no issues.

So this <Mod Edit> little setting which never changed with the other XMP/overclocking things seems to not pump enough voltage into the cores at times which let them crash.

System is a Ryzen 5800x
on an Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570
I spare the rest of the settings as those are anyway different throughout the general problem. Which might explain that also on other boards it is the General "power setting curve" for the CPU.
i think that's gigabyte bios issues, i've been having some problem like that but related to xmp which cant run 3600mhz on a zen2 cpu? it need to be atleast xmp high frequency at level 3 so i could do 3600, but cant do more or it'll be desync.

Sep 14, 2022
i think that's gigabyte bios issues, i've been having some problem like that but related to xmp which cant run 3600mhz on a zen2 cpu? it need to be atleast xmp high frequency at level 3 so i could do 3600, but cant do more or it'll be desync.

Yes i might be limited to my/Gigabyte Bios settings. And the solution might also be not THE one i posted but as i have no others to compare and this definetly worked for me i wanted to spread it a bit in hopes that it helps. Cause this solution i had never read before.