[SOLVED] System Crash Ntoskrnl.exe and Nvlddmkm.sys

Errol100

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Hi, my PC has experienced two crashes recently while playing Call of Duty. It doesn't happen immediately but around 20mins-1hr after playing the game. It never actually showed the BSOD but crashed and rebooted.

Blue screen view highlights Ntoskrnl.exe and Nvlddmkm.sys. After the first crash I downloaded snappy driver installer to make sure all the latest drivers were installed but it continued to crash. I then ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found no issues.

I ran GPU-Z during the last gameplay and it crashed at around 60-65C, so normal temps.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200925171837.000000+000
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (53 GB Free); D: 931 GB (194 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. B350M PRO-VDH (MS-7A38), ver 2.0, s/n HB16757314

Solution

the answer is update nvidia drivers. If you on the latest now, try running ddu, uninstall nvidia as usual, but instead of getting drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and let windows load older Nvidia drivers. See if they any better.

do you have any old USB devices? USB and GPU controlled by same controller chip, so its possible a faulty USB device can stop GPU drivers loading. I have had it myself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running DDU, uninstall the Nvidia drivers and reinstall new ones - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/
Nvlddmkm.sys = Nvidia display driver.

in case you get more
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

• copy that file to documents
  • upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  • and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Reactions: Errol100

Errol100

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Seems to have fixed the issue, I installed the new driver and only the new driver. A few days later I downloaded Gforce Experience and then had another crash! I uninstalled that and haven't had an issue since. Thanks

Reactions: Colif

Errol100

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Sorry I may have spoken too soon! Last nights while playing warzone a couple of times the game has crashed, not the computer this time like previously - it would freeze then show the error: Dev Error 6328 and close to desktop.

After looking at windows even viewer it shows: display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I assume this is the same issue but disguised differently?

EDIT: As the computer didn't crash there is no minidump file.

Colif

Win 11 Master

the answer is update nvidia drivers. If you on the latest now, try running ddu, uninstall nvidia as usual, but instead of getting drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and let windows load older Nvidia drivers. See if they any better.

do you have any old USB devices? USB and GPU controlled by same controller chip, so its possible a faulty USB device can stop GPU drivers loading. I have had it myself.

Solution

Errol100

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Ok I will try this. I do have the latest driver as I ran DDU previously.

As for USB devices I have a logitech mouse which is only a few years old and the bluetooth card I installed plugs into a USB connector on the motherboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wait and see if you get any more troubles.

Since you only had 1 actual BSOD caused by GPU and other one caused by drivers restarting, it is possible its something else causing it.

What make/model BT adapter? I can go see how old it really is.