System crashes and reboots with GTX 970 SLI - Help!

kedgington

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Greetings all,

I have an SLI problem that I need to get fixed asap.

System specs:
1. Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 mobo
2. i7-5820K (running at stock clock)
3. 4 x 4GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz
4. Corsair Hydro H110 CPU cooler
5. 2x Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming graphics cards in SLI
6. Enermax Revolution ATX 730W PSU (ERX730AWT)
7. 500GB Samsung SSD
8. 3TB WD Green HD
9. LG SATA Blu-ray writer/re-writer

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and any other non-gpu intensive applications, is smooth as glass and I experience no problems.

However, once I fire up a game, the system crashes and reboots after only about a minute of game time. It does this every time without fail.

I have tried several different NVidia drivers, but that solved nothing. Same thing happens - crash, reboot, start windows normally?, etc. Temperatures are normal for GPU and CPU when the system crashes, so it isn't a heat issue.

I made sure to run a power cable to the ATX4P jack on the mobo in order to supply supplemental power to the mobo. My PSU should be sufficient to run these cards in SLI, especially since nothing is overclocked.

Any ideas what could be causing the crashes? All the parts are brand new. I need to either get SLI working or return one of the graphics cards soon.

Thanks in advance!

Joshua Martin

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
Although a 730W PSU should be strong enough for 2-way 970 SLI, the problem you're describing sounds like it's a PSU issue. Is it an older PSU? Either way, check your event logs and post them here. To me, it sounds like a PSU issue. That PSU is at the border and just is barley strong enough to support SLI with those cards.

kedgington

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Turned out that one of the GTX 970 cards was bad. When installed as the only graphics card, and benchmarked using Heaven 4.0, the system would run for about 45 sec to 1 min, crash completely, and reboot. Using the good card, I could run Heaven 4.0 for as long as I wanted and the system remained stable. Bad card sent back. Awaiting replacement.