Question System Crashes and Shuts Down

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Hello,

I've been looking into a friend's PC that has been having some issues with crashing when it's trying to load up a newer generation game. Programs like Tiny Tina's Wonderland will crash before they ever load and the system will usually revert back to the desktop. Sometimes the whole system just powers down. These are issues that have happened after we recently installed a 3080 GPU. It's also unknown how old the PSU is.

I've ran the usual maintenance. Windows updates. Driver updates. Disc Cleanup. Cleared cookies. Defrag. Cleaned up registry with CCleaner. At one point the system shut down when I was only running a virus scan. I figure it's either a power issue, a heating issue, or a virus.

I've cleaned up the heatsink and reapplied fresh thermal paste. It wasn't as dirty as I was expecting it to be, and the fan seemed to be working just fine. As expected, the problem persisted. I have the exact same CPU in another build, so I tried that to see if the CPU was possibly damaged, but we're still having the same problem.

My next thought was trying out another power supply before wiping the drive to put on a fresh install of windows. I thought it might be good to poke my head in here and see if anyone might have some suggestions for me. The hardware is as follows:

CPU: AMD 8350 4.0GB
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
GPU: GeForce 3080
PSU: EVGA 1000W Gold
MoBo: Asus 970 Pro

Thanks!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am actually stunned that you would have decided to put a 3080 into that build.

Which exact EVGA 1000W Gold? If it is a good one, it could be reused.
Otherwise, consider a full CPU/Mobo/RAM refresh. Storage as well if as old as the other base components.

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
The 3080 was a gift from one of his friends. He had a 1070 before that. I don't think my friend wants to buy a whole new core for his build. The storage is a 500GB SSD and 500GB HDD. They both look to be in good shape.

I'm not really sure which EVGA PSU it is exactly. I know that he had gotten it used from a friend when we first put this computer together a few years ago. I reached out to that person and they said they weren't sure how old it was.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hello,

I've been looking into a friend's PC that has been having some issues with crashing when it's trying to load up a newer generation game. Programs like Tiny Tina's Wonderland will crash before they ever load and the system will usually revert back to the desktop. Sometimes the whole system just powers down. These are issues that have happened after we recently installed a 3080 GPU. It's also unknown how old the PSU is.

I've ran the usual maintenance. Windows updates. Driver updates. Disc Cleanup. Cleared cookies. Defrag. Cleaned up registry with CCleaner. At one point the system shut down when I was only running a virus scan. I figure it's either a power issue, a heating issue, or a virus.

I've cleaned up the heatsink and reapplied fresh thermal paste. It wasn't as dirty as I was expecting it to be, and the fan seemed to be working just fine. As expected, the problem persisted. I have the exact same CPU in another build, so I tried that to see if the CPU was possibly damaged, but we're still having the same problem.

My next thought was trying out another power supply before wiping the drive to put on a fresh install of windows. I thought it might be good to poke my head in here and see if anyone might have some suggestions for me. The hardware is as follows:

CPU: AMD 8350 4.0GB
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
GPU: GeForce 3080
PSU: EVGA 1000W Gold
MoBo: Asus 970 Pro

Thanks!
Have you monitored the performance monitor?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Have you monitored the performance monitor?
Yeah. The CPU is the only thing that shoots up to 100% when the system crashes. I feel like that's pretty normal for when you first start up a program like Borderlands.

Nothing stands out in the event viewer that points to what the error was that caused the crash. I just get a couple notifications that the system did not shut down properly