Question System Crashes During Gaming.

Hazard93

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Hello.

For the past couple months I've been experiencing problems whilst playing Rocket League. Every now and again I'll crash, sometimes it'll be a 10-15 second crash and the game loads me back in, sometimes the whole system would freeze and require a hard reboot.

Things I've tried, removing GPU and CPU overclocks, just in case they were interfering with anything. Uninstalled and reinstalled Rocket League + Steam, and verifying integrity of files. I've then changed thermal compound on both CPU and GPU, not that I had a concern for that, just so I know I've done it. I've ran system scans on both installed SSD's to make sure both are working ok, to which they are.

If anyone can help me potentially sort this issue, I'd be grateful. It's driving me crazy. I don't play many games, but recently I've been playing Sea of Thieves which is more demanding than RL, yet I've had no crashes..

My part list..

CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler | Corsair - H60 54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard | ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage | Kingston - SSDNow UV400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage | Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card | EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 4 GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case | NZXT - H200 (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply | Corsair - RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan | NZXT - Aer F120 (Twin Pack) 63.02 CFM 120mm Fans
Case Fan | NZXT - Aer F140 (Twin Pack) 103.43 CFM 140mm Fan
Monitor | Hannspree - HE225DPB 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor
Monitor | Hannspree - HE225DPB 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor
Keyboard | Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse | Corsair - Harpoon RGB Wired Optical Mouse

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the crashes.

Use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming. Then once you understand the information being presented and how to navigate about simply slide the window to one side but leave open.

Game as usual. Not necessarily to win but to recreate the conditions or situations that lead to the crashes.

You may be able to note some bottleneck or other performance issue that appears. For example, maybe some app opens in the background to update, backup, or "phone home".....

Hazard93

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Look in Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the crashes.

Use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming. Then once you understand the information being presented and how to navigate about simply slide the window to one side but leave open.

Game as usual. Not necessarily to win but to recreate the conditions or situations that lead to the crashes.

You may be able to note some bottleneck or other performance issue that appears. For example, maybe some app opens in the background to update, backup, or "phone home".....

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I'll take a look at Event Viewer tonight when I get home from work, and try to recreate the event. Is there a certain tab I should be checking, or should I scroll through at the time of the event to see which matches with the appropriate time? Most of the time the crash entails just the game, on my other monitor things are still running fine, though occasionally as stated, it'll crash the whole system until I perform a hard reboot.

Upon looking, I can see one critical issue which would have been around the time it happened again yesterday at 21:50 whilst gaming.

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎01/‎04/‎2019 21:50

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffff9787770fc1e0
Parameter 2: fffff8061389eb24
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 5124
OS version: 10_0_17763
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - do "scroll through" and see what else you can find. Especially if the error code/event corresponds to a crash.

Then you can google the code (141) and research possible causes. E.g.:

https://superuser.com/questions/1316925/windows-error-livekernelevent-code-141-on-mostly-new-parts

The key is to not immediately react to any given "solution". Some websites will show up no matter what problem you are researching and the are plenty of "fix-it" download solutions. Avoid. LIkewise avoid registry edits - very last resort.

While doing the research you may come across other factors that may be involved as noted in the link above.

Narrow down the possible causes by elimination as much as you can. For example, your system may be just at some threshold value with respect to power demands on the PSU. Or some background app starts hogging a resource.

Perhaps just an updated GPU driver is all that is needed. Or some other driver even...

Take your time, keep notes, change only one thing at a time.

As always - have verfied backups available. Just in case....

Hazard93

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Yes - do "scroll through" and see what else you can find. Especially if the error code/event corresponds to a crash.

Then you can google the code (141) and research possible causes. E.g.:

https://superuser.com/questions/1316925/windows-error-livekernelevent-code-141-on-mostly-new-parts

The key is to not immediately react to any given "solution". Some websites will show up no matter what problem you are researching and the are plenty of "fix-it" download solutions. Avoid. LIkewise avoid registry edits - very last resort.

While doing the research you may come across other factors that may be involved as noted in the link above.

Narrow down the possible causes by elimination as much as you can. For example, your system may be just at some threshold value with respect to power demands on the PSU. Or some background app starts hogging a resource.

Perhaps just an updated GPU driver is all that is needed. Or some other driver even...

Take your time, keep notes, change only one thing at a time.

As always - have verfied backups available. Just in case....

Thanks for the help so far, appreciated. So I'm going to start by installing Display Drive Uninstaller, to get rid of everything and start fresh. I'm then going to install an older driver that I knew worked without problems back when I first built the PC. Hopefully that solves the issues but in the back of my mind, that all sounds too easy..

I'll update once I've had time to test. Would certainly be weird considering I can play other games without problems. I have also tried previously to uninstall Rocket League and all residual items, I was somewhat expecting a file within the game to be corrupt, but as you can tell I still have the problem, so that didn't solve it.