[SOLVED] System crashes under load and won't turn back on with power button ?

mrskwid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
The system crashes but I can't turn it back on until I hit the PSU hard switch.
Most of the time the lights on USB devices stay on, but interestingly the lights on the molex fans don't.

I had a power supply die a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with an old one I had. This same problem happened with that one so I got the new one I'm have now. It worked fine for about a week but yesterday I started having crashes while playing system intensive games.
I'm guessing it's a hardware problem because I don't think software could keep the power button from working. I don't think the power supply is defective because it's new and I had this problem with another PSU.
I don't have another motherboard to test the CPU or another CPU to test the motherboard.
Things I tried:

• Reseating all the power cables
  • Setting the BIOS to defaults
  • Turning off all hibernations settings
Also made sure the temps where good around the time of the crash, and there wasn't anything strange in EvenT Viewer at the time of the crash. I'm also running memtest now.

Is there any other trouble shooting I can do? I don't want to just order a part hoping it works without trying to narrow the field first.
Any help would be apricated.

Sytems specs.
CPU AMD Ryzen 2600x (no overclocking)
GPU AMD radeon RX 480 MSI gaming x (no overclocking)
Mother board GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H
RAM 16 GB
PSU Corsair CX Series 550 Watt semi-modular
Storage 2 sata HDDs and 1 sata SSD

Last edited:
Solution
what are your mainboard VRM temepratures during gaming?
your mainboard wasnt designed with gaming in mind, its more into office market (browse here, type here and similar tasks)

mrskwid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
There are six temps listed in the mother board section of open hardware monitor.
40, 55, 77, 17, 88, and 50.
Temps where taken with open hardware monitor while using MSI kombuster CPU and GPU stress tests. the temps are in Celsius.
I checked the other temps while I was at it, CPU maxed out at 77( taken with ryzen master) and the GPU maxed at 63 (taken from both hardware monitor and kombuster.

mrskwid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
Pretty sure it's the mobo overheating. Got a new mother board that can handle the required voltage.
Don't make the same mistake I did future surfer, get a motherboard to suite you task.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts