Question System crashing after installing new graphics card

FantaSea

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
Recently I upgraded the graphics card of my pc from a GTX 970 to a RTX 2060 and am consequently experiencing many issues. I play games very often, and sometimes right in the middle of a game the screen will go black and the fans in my computer will go full throttle. Sometimes the system will shutdown completely. I have been monitoring my temps using afterburner and am seeing them at roughly 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit, so im not sure if temperature is a problem. Here are my specs:
  • i7 4790k
  • RTX 2060
  • 250g samsung ssd
  • 1tb WD HDD
  • MSI Gaming 5 motherboard
  • 8 gigs hyperx ram

Everything was working fine pre-upgrade, and also for a while after post-upgrade. It's been roughly 3 months since I changed the card. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do i need to change the GPU? Thanks in advance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you use Driver Deleter (DDR) from Guru3d.com? It totally wipes out older drivers, then do a clean install of new. This'll reset your registry with the right paths so you don't get conflicts.
Also make a visit to MSI support and download any and all motherboard chipset drivers. Windows 10 Creators Edition can do some funky things to the mobo drivers and tries to insist it use the windows native stuff, especially audio and Lan. Makes games CTD at times.