[SOLVED] System Crashing after replacing a SSD with a bigger one?

Dec 26, 2019
So I recently got a new SSD, for christmas actually, and it's a 1TB WD Blue SATA SSD. my PC actually has 2 SSD's, and an HDD. The HDD is for game storage, and 1 SSD was for the OS. The other one was from a past PC that just had an extra one, so we put it in anyways - why not? But I wanted to replace it with a bigger one because faster storage and what not. Now on to the issue: When I had replaced the SSD that was just for spare storage, with the 1tb, my system took noticeably longer to start up, and when I would log in the system display would crash in about a minute. Tried launching a second time, to see if it was some weird fluke - Same result. Reverted all the changes I made, and the system worked just fine. IS the SSD broken? Did I break it? I really couldn't tell.

System Info:
rtx 590 8gb ddr5
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450 Gaming Plus
750W Power
If it makes a difference, the old ssd was Seagate, but with the system crashing within a minute of being on, I couldn't see how I could possibly download new drivers.

Last edited:
Solution
the new 1TB is likely uninitialized so it won't appear until you format it in disk mgmt from Control Panel.
The other SSD may have been configured for restore points so may have cause a crash when it was not longer accessible.

Best course of action is to clone the old Seagate to the 1TB Blue - swap them and see if the situtation is resolved.
Then you can adjust the Blue as needed if everything is stable.
the new 1TB is likely uninitialized so it won't appear until you format it in disk mgmt from Control Panel.
The other SSD may have been configured for restore points so may have cause a crash when it was not longer accessible.

Best course of action is to clone the old Seagate to the 1TB Blue - swap them and see if the situtation is resolved.
Then you can adjust the Blue as needed if everything is stable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS