[SOLVED] System crashing (BSOD Video_TDR_Failure/Freeze+Reboot) 5700XT

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
I bought an RX5700 XT back in August/September of 2019, It had driver issues on release I'm sure we can agree, then it got somewhat stable and then I never really had a problem after that. But around 4 months ago (I'm pretty sure It's the GPU, but I may be wrong), I started getting random crashes, crashes after logging in, blue screens when opening discord etc, these instances seem to occur most often if the PC sleeps before I log in, or if I open 3-4 programs within a short amount of time (Say, steam, discord, and chrome within a few seconds of each other or just in the middle of a game such as Warframe, the crash usually only triggers when I make an action such as opening chat, or entering menu) I get a video_tdr_failure 7/10 times, a freeze and reboot 2/10 or so times and then every now and then a bluescreen for a kernel issue or something else.

I've tried updating and reverting drivers, cleaning and reseating parts running sfc /scannow, and a few other things that are on nearly every troubleshooting list ever, safe mode, check disc, memtest etc etc.
Checking my reliability checker shows that the issue is hardware-related, atikmpag.sys and amdkmdag.sys etc are usually rooted with driver issues, but I've tried numerous driver versions to no avail.

GPU is XFX RX5700XT Raw II and ram is Adata Spectrix d41 ddr4 3200mhz, other system information is included in the images. I've also attached a scannow log (which did repair some corrupted files, but those mainly relate to languages, and the system still crashed afterward anyway (freeze+reboot). I can try to get you other logs or information if it's missing, I can't figure it out, luckily XFXoffers 3 years warranty (however I would rather not have to pay the shipping to America as was the case with the last warranty I claimed) as opposed to the standard 1 as listed in the information from the retailer (https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47618).

Images can be found here of the numerous consecutive crashes in the reliability checker alongside some system info

CBS log here (Filebin)

Thanks in advance

Edit: Did a user benchmark as well if that helps in any way https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/39236668
Definitely not scoring as well as used to overall percentage-wise, but I suppose that can be drawn up to newer technology increasing the limits

PSU is Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 650W, roughly 16 months
Monitor is Acer KG251QF Roughly 22 months, using DP at 144hz

Last edited:
Solution
forgive me if I am wrong about any of this just trying to help maybe you have done some of this.
Download the latest drivers for your GPU place them on your desktop get
Display Driver Uninstaller from here
remove everything after restarting it will probably be 640x480 not great instal your AMD/NVIDIA drivers and hopefully should fix your problem

I would recommend having the latest good bios not a beta I do not know how you update MSI bios but would suggest downloading to usb at least two just in case and then restart and install from bios.
forgive me if I am wrong about any of this just trying to help maybe you have done some of this.
remove everything after restarting it will probably be 640x480 not great instal your AMD/NVIDIA drivers and hopefully should fix your problem

I would recommend having the latest good bios not a beta I do not know how you update MSI bios but would suggest downloading to usb at least two just in case and then restart and install from bios.

Solution

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017

Did all that the first time, except I manually uninstalled all the drivers, possible I simply missed a bad one somewhere then, I did have 1 crash after doing it all again with DDU, but that was due to something else, so I guess I'll just give it a bit more time