[SOLVED] System crashing constantly and faulty RAM

Aug 2, 2021
Hi,

I have a gaming PC that I built in 2019 but I never managed to get it 100% stable.
My system is overkill for the games that I usually play (Dota 2, Civ VI,...) but I still get constant crashes when playing Dota 2 or other games. Normally 1 or 2 per day out of 4-5 hrs playing. Sometimes is a crash that reboots the system, other times is a crash that reboots the system and also resets my MOBO Bios, other times is a BSOD and other times only crashing the game due to GPU driver failure.
The crashes normally happens when in middle of a game, normally when GPU/RAM are on high load. Also, they are more frequent when I used the RAM on the XMP profile or on the tested timings manually input in BIOS. No overclock of any kind and the temperatures does not get above recommended.

Late last year, after one of these crashes, my system didn't boot at all (only had power on CPU Fan and VGA Led). I discovered that the problem was one of my RAM sticks. After removing it, the system worked without crashing for 4 months.
I RMAed the faulty RAM stick and got a replacement and installed on my system. After that, I stayed couple weeks without any crash but the crashes returned like before.
Yesterday, after one crash, my system didn't want to boot and I discovered that one RAM stick is faulty again.

I want to know if this can be really a problem with the RAM (maybe a bad batch) or if this can be a problem with another hardware (MOBO, CPU, VGA, PSU,...). I do think that the MOBO can be the culprit here... What are your thoughts?

My System:
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
PCU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - XFX RAW II
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 16Gb (2x8) 3600 C16 (F4-3600C16D-16GVKC)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W
Storage: WD Black SN750 1tb
Case: NZXT h510

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With the way you've described the issue in your first paragraph, it seems to me that you either have a faulty/failing PSU or you have a compromised wiring situation in your house(grounding most likely) or both.

That being said, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? Please check and see what OS version you're on at the time of writing. Ideally you should be on version 21H1 for the OS.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With the way you've described the issue in your first paragraph, it seems to me that you either have a faulty/failing PSU or you have a compromised wiring situation in your house(grounding most likely) or both.

That being said, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? Please check and see what OS version you're on at the time of writing. Ideally you should be on version 21H1 for the OS.

Solution