[SOLVED] System crashing during BIOS updates

colintopinto

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Hi,

Purchased a 5900x CPU. I believe I need to update my BIOS to utilize and this has been a pain. I cannot upgrade to the latest version as I get an error. I saw posts stating that I need to install all subsequent versions to my current version one by one, so I have been trying that. However, when I try to install any of the next 3 BIOS versions for the motherboard, my system shuts off about 20% through the installation. I am able to restore BIOS via USB to the current installed version - 4012 (thankfully). Contacted ASUS, however I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for further troubleshooting (heard their support is garbage). I would really appreciate it.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming Motherboard - https://www.amazon.com/TUF-X470-Plu...07C5YR3KS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8
MSI GTX 1080 8GB Video Card
16GB (8GBx2) DDR4-2666 Memory

Colin

Solution
I believe I need to update my BIOS to utilize

You believe and you don't know for a fact? o_O

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason whatsoever to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked and...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I believe I need to update my BIOS to utilize

You believe and you don't know for a fact? o_O

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason whatsoever to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked and only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

Now, fact is, that you don't need to update your MoBo BIOS at all, since R7 2700X is supported with BIOS version of 0215 and that is the initial BIOS version.
Just locate your CPU and read it yourself,
link: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...TUF-Gaming/TUF-X470-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

I get an error.

Screenshot/picture of the error? So that we get to know what is really going on.

Solution

colintopinto

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I had looked at the page you linked and found the required BIOS version to utilize the 5900x (replacing my 2700x).

The error is within the BIOS and reads ""Selected file is not a proper BIOS!" when I have tried to install the latest BIOS. When trying to install the next 3 BIOS versions after my current, that is where I consistently get a crash 20% into the installation, same exact point in the install. Have not found any possible root causes for these crashes during the install, hence coming here.

Thanks.

colintopinto

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Solved, updated to version 5206, then 5809 which is the required version for 5000 series CPUs. I also updated the chipset drivers, unsure if that changed anything. I hope this helps someone.

Reactions: Aeacus