[SOLVED] System Crashing under Graphics Load. GPU? PSU? Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64

FURYBlakhart

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hey All,

Thought I'd throw this one out here.

In Brief: Any time the GPU seems to be stressed or a large load placed on it, the entire system is rebooting. Im assuming either the board or PSU is sensing an issue and tripping causing a system restart.

Ive temporarily moved from AUS back to USA for a while and built up a new rig using many existing parts I brought from AU. The point being - things like PSU and Cases etc arent going to fit in my luggage on the way back so im trying to keep outlay to a minimum with the bigger pieces.

That said, I bought a new Vega 64 Card, used an existing PSU that a family member had that they said never had any issues.

System is:
Intel i5 6400 with a MSI B150M Mortar MoBo. Both of these were working in existing system without errors.
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 4 RAM 16GB - which I have memtested with no errors.
Samsung 840 EVO SSD and a Seagate ST2000 Hybrid drive - again both working fine under old system
SoundBlaster Audigy FX with latest drivers

The two things im focusing on is a Corsair CX750M 750 Watt PSU and the Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX Vega 64.

The PC works fine mostly. I play a few MMO's with no stress. Things like Torchlight 2, Talisman, Gauntlet and other easy games on STEAM have not caused a blip. Windows and browsers etc obviously all work as do Discord, Spotify etc.

Try benchmarking the system on graphics, trying an intensive game like Total War Warhammer 2 or Wildlands on Ultra...anything that pushes the card more....and the system cuts out. Not just steam or the game, but full system reboot.

Initially I had the two 8 socket pins in from the same cable off the PSU. I have since connected pins from different cables. No difference.
I have tried to change the power limits with Wattman to ensure it isnt being limited too much and shutting down. No difference.
I have tried the auto undervolting on the GPU. No Difference.
I'm using the latest 19.7.5 drivers, but did try rolling back to previous version as well just in case. No difference.

Given the PSU has performed fine for most tasks im leaning towards it being the card but im not familiar enough with the Vega's, especially a nitro version so im not sure whatt o do next. Sapphire stated the 750W PSU should be more than capable.

I'm also running it out of the second PCI slot due to case limitations, but I dont see that would be an issue unless the board was faulty.

Faulty Card? Should I try other measures?

Solution
I do not think its an faulty card because the main power is coming from the PSU and if that comes faulty it can cause problems like shutting down or restarting unexpectedly. Try and new PSU and see if that works and what Model is your Current PSU now so that other members of the forums with more experience can help you because just posting because your thread is telling me that its mostly likely its the PSU that is making problems.

Try and take out the GPU and just use the CPU graphics by plugging HDMI cable into motherboard and do an stress test and see if that helps because two years ago or less my PSU kept restarting and replaced PSU works good.
I do not think its an faulty card because the main power is coming from the PSU and if that comes faulty it can cause problems like shutting down or restarting unexpectedly. Try and new PSU and see if that works and what Model is your Current PSU now so that other members of the forums with more experience can help you because just posting because your thread is telling me that its mostly likely its the PSU that is making problems.

Try and take out the GPU and just use the CPU graphics by plugging HDMI cable into motherboard and do an stress test and see if that helps because two years ago or less my PSU kept restarting and replaced PSU works good.

Solution

FURYBlakhart

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
its a Corsair CX750M 750 Watt PSU .

I would normally expect a faulty PSU to be having power issues even, say, playing World fo Warcraft or overwatch...not just under GPU load?

But I will try to test with just the onboard graphics. Thats a good idea and have not done it yet!

FURYBlakhart

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

I went out today and exchanged the 750 watt PSU with a 850watt model.

A) In case it was a faulty PSU
B) Remove any possibility that for some (ungodly) reason that 750Watt was not enough for this Vega 64.

The card is now running stable (if hot) under intense graphics loads now. 74 degrees on air cool with the 3 fans and side of case off.