Question System crashing when playing some games, Dont know what why. need some advice.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
this has been going on for ages and I have not been able to figure out what is the cause. some games will crash my system resulting in a black screen and the fans on my gpu going to 100%. i cant get the screen back and reset does nothing. i have to hold the power button down and then reboot the system. i dont know where to start. and really could do with some guidence. system spec.

i7 7700k nzxt kraken x5 4.5ghz (factory deafult)
ASUS Maximus formula IX
Gskill trident z rgb 16gb 3200mhz (xmp profile)
EVGA 1080ti kingpin (factory overclock)
Nvidia driver 461.72
EVGA G2L 850wat PSU
Samsung evo 860 (OS) 250GB
Samsung evo 860 500gb
Samsung evo 860 1TB
WD 2TB
WD4TB
LG OLED CX

Windows 10 version 20H2
Build 19042.928

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Blackscreen is the gpu display shutting down. But thats not necessarily a hardware issue, can be anything from DirectX conflicts to drivers.

But fans going to 100% is most often hardware. It's usually indicative of vram overheating, which won't show up on gpu temps, because there wasn't a thermal sensor on those cards back then for such. Only the actual processor had the sensor.

I'd pull the gpu and tear into cleaning the heatsink/fans really well. After playing a game for a second, take a physical look at the gpu and make sure all the fans are spinning as they should. Checking gpu temps can indicate whether you are getting decent airflow to the gpu, which if it's not good, can make vram temps worse.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
monitor your system temperatures with an OSD while playing one of these games and see what they are reaching.

I ran afterburner to moniter the temps when playing a game, in this case it was Pilars of Eternity 2. My temps on the CPU went as high as 65c, and temps on the gpu went to 71c, but the game did not crash.

I continued to play and after about 10 minutes it black screened and fans went into over drive, but the temps where only at 60c on both when the crash happend..What should i do now?

Last edited:

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Blackscreen is the gpu display shutting down. But thats not necessarily a hardware issue, can be anything from DirectX conflicts to drivers.

But fans going to 100% is most often hardware. It's usually indicative of vram overheating, which won't show up on gpu temps, because there wasn't a thermal sensor on those cards back then for such. Only the actual processor had the sensor.

I'd pull the gpu and tear into cleaning the heatsink/fans really well. After playing a game for a second, take a physical look at the gpu and make sure all the fans are spinning as they should. Checking gpu temps can indicate whether you are getting decent airflow to the gpu, which if it's not good, can make vram temps worse.

Temps on the gpu went as high as 71c, but the black screen happend after at a lower temp of 60c.

Failure over time smacks of a heat issue.
Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look to case cooling solutions.

The kingpin units are heavily overclocked.
You might try lowering the factory overclock a bit.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Failure over time smacks of a heat issue.
Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look to case cooling solutions.

The kingpin units are heavily overclocked.
You might try lowering the factory overclock a bit.

im using a cooler master HAF-X so im not sure why cooling would be an issue.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Id run DDU through a safe mode uninstall, and reinstall the gpu drivers. Also download the latest motherboard chipset drivers from Asus.

Then run furmark or msi Kombuster (has various tests) and see if the gpu still blacks out.

If it's still blacking out, I'd contact Evga directly, your card should still be under warranty, possibly, I'm still inclined to believe it's a vram/VRM overheat, which can happen easily if the thermal pads have gone bad, moved, no longer contact the components etc. It's not hard for those to see 100°C+, even if the processor isn't going beyond 70's.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Id run DDU through a safe mode uninstall, and reinstall the gpu drivers. Also download the latest motherboard chipset drivers from Asus.

Then run furmark or msi Kombuster (has various tests) and see if the gpu still blacks out.

If it's still blacking out, I'd contact Evga directly, your card should still be under warranty, possibly, I'm still inclined to believe it's a vram/VRM overheat, which can happen easily if the thermal pads have gone bad, moved, no longer contact the components etc. It's not hard for those to see 100°C+, even if the processor isn't going beyond 70's.

Iv allredy done that in the past i allways use DDU when removing drivers. im not using the latest Nvidia driver though, but this has been going on for a long time, my motherboard is using the latest drivers .they have not been updated since 2018, i also am not in warrenty anymore with this card.. i have not tried to run furmark or msi kombuster though.. what is the correct procedure to do this. thanks

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
if it was a heat issue or vram over heating or whatever. why does this only happen on some games and not others. i played Bl3 at 4k mostly max out settings co op last night with my friend for a good 4 hours...nothing.. no crash game ran. I was expecting it to black screen on me after a 3o minutes or so but it was solid...yet on games like Pilares of eternity 2, final fantasy 12/15 and dying light. it happens..im lost