System (D) almost full

dustikins

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
Hi there.

I recently reinstalled windows, and noticed that my D drive (Which previously didn't even show up under My Computer) is using 7.5 of it's 8GB space. This is almost entirely down to two files, SPL_WINDOWS.swm (4GB) and SPL_WINDOWS2.swm (3GB).

I have no idea if this might be slowing down my PC, but I'm experiencing weird sporadic freezing issues which last anything from a couple of seconds up to 15 unresponsive minutes. I've checked my system using both Avast! and Malwarebytes and it's supposedly clean so hopefully I can rule out viruses or malware.

Anyone know what these files are? Did I install windows on the wrong drive by accident?

Any tips would be great, cheers.

Solution
If this is only one drive on your system i would start running a chkdsk.

Go to Start Menu

Then in Start menu Type Command Prompt

Then in the list click on command prompt.

A black box will pop up.

While in the black box Type or copy and past item below.

chkdsk /r

It will ask a question about rebooting press Y for yes then reboot system and then let it do it's thing.This will check to see if there are errors on your drives.This mostly helps fixing skipping issues.But not all the time.

This might take a while.

(Side Note)
You can right click in the black area of the cmd.And use Past option.Don't use Crtl + V will not work in command prompt.

Wile E Coyote

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
If this is only one drive on your system i would start running a chkdsk.

Go to Start Menu

Then in Start menu Type Command Prompt

Then in the list click on command prompt.

A black box will pop up.

While in the black box Type or copy and past item below.

chkdsk /r

It will ask a question about rebooting press Y for yes then reboot system and then let it do it's thing.This will check to see if there are errors on your drives.This mostly helps fixing skipping issues.But not all the time.

This might take a while.

(Side Note)
You can right click in the black area of the cmd.And use Past option.Don't use Crtl + V will not work in command prompt.

Solution