[SOLVED] System died over night (Freezing Ryzen/Asus; worked before)

Mar 19, 2021
Hey everyone.
I have a problem with my self-built system:

MY SYSTEM
Ryzen 3400G
Asus ROG STRIX B450-E GAMING

I can exclude all other parts as a source of error.

SO HERES THE PROBLEM
2/3 Month ago, I upgraded/downgraded from a Ryzen 2600 + RX 580 8GB to a Ryzen 2400G cpu, that i can use my gpu in a separate mining rig.
The 2400G ran without problems but started randomly freezing after a few weeks (hard reboot required). I could fix those freezes by clean installing the linux distro i'm using.
Two days ago, i let my system run overnight and in the morning it was freezes (same like all the freezes before). So I hard rebooted but the system freezed again 0-10 seconds after turning it on.
So it died over night without any changes made.
I cannot get it running anything.
I've never manually overclocked anything.

WHAT I'VE TRIED
  • Updated the BIOS to the latest version
  • Using different RAM
  • Using a GPU (Shouldn't be an APU error tho)
  • Booting from usb drives (Windows and Linux)
  • Removed the BIOS battery over night
The BIOS seems to be and work fine, as it doesn't freeze. But the system still doesn't boot anything.
If I boot from any drive/usb it freezes after a random amount of seconds. Usually 0-5 seconds. It does NOT freeze at the same point everytime.

THE FREEZE
  • No response at all (visual, ssh, usb)
  • RGB and Fans are still running and the Fan speeds change from time to time, so the rgb and fan control (mobo/bios) seems to work
  • EDIT: Fan control doesn't work

HELP ME PLEASE
I couldn't find any related thread or stuff from my Google searches. Does anyone has experience with such an issue?
I would argue that the cpu is the problem and not the mobo/bios/else. Can you confirm that?

Thanks in advance. :]

Last edited:

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
ah sorry, i missunderstood when you wrote, that clean install of linux helped you with it.
Anyways, post full specs.

I had i problem with my PSU. Where it would freeze my system, or i would get BSOD every few minutes.
PSU worked allright in another system, but constantly crased the other one( was demanding too much juice from the PSU than it could deliver), you never know, could test a different psu on ur pc.

Or a bad connection to your SSD? or the SSD it self is breaking down?

Can you also put back the old CPU ant test if the system works properlly?

Mar 19, 2021
ah sorry, i missunderstood when you wrote, that clean install of linux helped you with it.

I had i problem with my PSU. Where it would freeze my system, or i would get BSOD every few minutes.
PSU worked allright in another system, but constantly crased the other one( was demanding too much juice from the PSU than it could deliver), you never know, could test a different psu on ur pc.

16GB Gskill Aegis 3000 RAM (already tried different RAM)
bequiet! PurePower 10 400W
WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD 1 TB M.1 (ssd shouldn't be the problem as I cannot boot from anything else either; I've tried usb, sata ssd, etc.)

That 400W psu should be enough cuz I don't use a gpu anymore and it also worked fine with my Ryzen 2600 + RX 580 before.

Unfortunately, i already sold the old cpu.

Any BIOS settings i should try? I'm currently using the default ones.

Edit:
I'm going to try my mining PSU with the system.

Edit of Edit:
Same thing with mining PSU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Could be the CPU acting up, had once a cpu that would boot to windows but PC would freeze or BSOD after a minute, or wont post at all sometimes, tried diferrent mobo with the CPU, its seemed everythings fine till, after some time it started with funky freezing again, changed the CPU and vuala everythings fine.

So at the time, i would suggest looking for a test CPU, maybe some old second hand amd processor for 20$ just to make sure.

Mar 19, 2021

PXL-20210320-125016572.jpg

Ig this could be useful. I still continues to boot most times - as mentioned, the freeze is at different positions/times everytime. Sometimes I get to the ubuntu login screen but at the latest then it freezes.

The question is, if the mobo or the cpu is the problem...

Edit: I removed the cpu and reinstalled it. All the pins and the socket looks perfectly fine. Still same problem.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
Could be the CPU acting up, had once a cpu that would boot to windows but PC would freeze or BSOD after a minute, or wont post at all sometimes, tried diferrent mobo with the CPU, its seemed everythings fine till, after some time it started with funky freezing again, changed the CPU and vuala everythings fine.

So at the time, i would suggest looking for a test CPU, maybe some old second hand amd processor for 20$ just to make sure.

I made an experiment:
I removed the fan from my tower cooler and set the case fans to 50°C and 55°C. Then I let it run in bios so I could see the cpu temp and measured the tower temp. The cpu temp was at 51°C and the tower temp at like 42°C.
After that i booted ubuntu so it freezed in boot. The cpu went below 50°C so the case fans turned off. Now the interesting part: the tower cooler temp rised to 43°C so the CPU temp had to be over 50°C. But the case fans didn't start to go up again.

So here's my theory:
As mentioned above, the pc died over night while running. I guess it freezed in that night and the fan control didn't work, so the CPU got hotter and hotter and finally overheated because the fans didn't start / didn't go faster. And that caused permanent cpu damage. Is that possible?

So the fan control definitely does NOT work in when the system is freezed.

Last edited:

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Good observation. I would think if your cpu would be completelly toast, you wouldnt be able even to enter bios, but since you can enter bios every time with no problem, could it be that theres some heat distribution problem with you CPU, where while trying to boot, CPU requires more power and more heat is produced, but since there is a overheating problem, your system auto shutsdown not to fry CPU while booting OS.

Just my thoughts, maybe some more tech savy veterans could elaborate more

Mar 19, 2021
Good observation. I would think if your cpu would be completelly toast, you wouldnt be able even to enter bios, but since you can enter bios every time with no problem, could it be that theres some heat distribution problem with you CPU, where while trying to boot, CPU requires more power and more heat is produced, but since there is a overheating problem, your system auto shutsdown not to fry CPU while booting OS.

Just my thoughts, maybe some more tech savy veterans could elaborate more

Well but that would be noticeable then because the fans should go up to max speed, right?
I think the system would "really" shut down or downclock then and not freeze.
I'm going to try to get another cpu to try if the mobo is fine. I'll rma the cpu if the mobo is fine.

Any useful information from the error messages?

Mar 19, 2021
Maybe there is some information, but not for my level of understanding, however, i found this post with a similar problem, check it out, might help, click ->> HERE
Yeah I also found that and similar threads. I've tried various kernel parameters but no luck...

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
I dont know man this is one tough pickle, its out of my knownledge level. I guess go for a long shot, and try wiping ur ssd, reseting bios or even re-flasing bios, since your bios could be corrupted, and trying to install fresh windows to see if it atleast boots from ssd to windows.

Or try this thread over Here its about ACPI configuration, wich according to your screen shot you have a problem with.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
I dont know man this is one tough pickle, its out of my knownledge level. I guess go for a long shot, and try wiping ur ssd, reseting bios or even re-flasing bios, since your bios could be corrupted, and trying to install fresh windows to see if it atleast boots from ssd to windows.

Or try this thread over Here its about APCI configuration, wich according to your screen shot you have a problem with.

Yeah I've done all of that. I cannot even boot a windows installation medium tho..
🥲

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Yeah I've done all of that. I cannot even boot a windows installation medium tho..
🥲
even reflashing the bios, to a clean one?

well then i have no clue, time for a different cpu to test, as i sayd before, just buy some cheap one on ebay for 20$ to test if its ur cpu

Mar 19, 2021
even reflashing the bios, to a clean one?

well then i have no clue, time for a different cpu to test, as i sayd before, just buy some cheap one on ebay for 20$ to test if its ur cpu
Ye, ive reflashed the bios multiple time and using the default settings, but no luck. I'll try another cpu next week. Thanks for ur time.