Question System does not boot from cold, need to reset twice, but depends on the location ?

of0xo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Greetings everyone,

I built an ITX rig for travelling, using some new parts and some parts that I had at home in an older rig, because i wanted to play some games that my laptop is not able, and i'm facing a strange issue.

When trying to boot from cold, the system powers on, but there is no post, so i have to reset the system 2 times twice in order to boot and then everything works properly.
Oh, and if i turn off the system and try to turn it on again, the system tries to turn on but then turns off in a milisecond, so I have to unplug it, wait a few seconds and then plug it back.

The strange thing is that it only happens in one of my apartments (due to work and personal life, i move between 3 diferent places in different provinces of my country), and I'm trying to figure out what is going on.

The new parts are the case, the motherboard, the PSU and the RAM, the other things were already working in an older ATX rig without any problems.

I've checked all the cable management, disabled the "fast boot" in windows/BIOS, tested the drives in other rigs, tried to boot with only the keyboard plugged to it... And still can't find what the hell is going on...

Any ideas about that could be happening? Maybe it could be related to the electrical installation?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

P.D.: These are my specs.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X + Corsair H60
GPU: Sapphire RX590 Nitro+ 8Gb + Corsair H100x
MB: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair SF750 80Plus Platinum
Storage: 1xSSD Crucial MX 250Gb + 1xM.2 SSD WD Blue 500Gb + 1x2.5" HDD Seagate Firecuda 1Tb + 1x2.5" HDD WD Blue 1Tb
Case: Silverstone FTZ01-E

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The strange thing is that it only happens in one of my appartments (due to work and personal life, i move between 3 diferent places in different provinces of my country), and I'm trying to figure out what is going on.
+
When trying to boot from cold, the system powers on, but there is no post, so i have to reset the system 2 times in order to boot and then everything works properly.
Oh, and if i turn off the system and try to turn it on again, the system tries to turn on but then turns off in a milisecond, so I have to unplug it, wait a few seconds and then plug it back.
This would be a sign that one of your abodes has a grounding issue.

Another thing to ask is, what are the specs to your build? Are they the ones listed in your sig space? If so please find it in your heart to parse them in your thread's body.. Why? Sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens this thread and it's relevant suggestions will end up moot to the person in the same boat as you.

of0xo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
The strange thing is that it only happens in one of my appartments (due to work and personal life, i move between 3 diferent places in different provinces of my country), and I'm trying to figure out what is going on.
+
When trying to boot from cold, the system powers on, but there is no post, so i have to reset the system 2 times in order to boot and then everything works properly.
This would be a sign that one of your abodes has a grounding issue.

Another thing to ask is, what are the specs to your build? Are they the ones listed in your sig space? If so please find it in your heart to parse them in your thread's body.. Why? Sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens this thread and it's relevant suggestions will end up moot to the person in the same boat as you.

Hi there, thank you for your response.

Sorry, my specs are the same as in the sign, i edited the initial post so anyone can see the specs in the moment this was posted.

About the grounding issue... How can I find out wich one?

Thanks in advance.

of0xo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Well, after a lot more of troubleshooting trying too many things, just found out that it's something related to my monitor :oops:

I have an Acer ED320QRPB, and if I turn on the system with the monitor plugged to the displayport, my PC won't boot, but if i just turn everything off and unplug the monitor, the system boots up normally :unsure:

Any idea about why this could happen? Never thought a monitor could affect the entire system in such way :rolleyes:

of0xo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
its interesting that it only happens at one apartment definitely has to be something there doing it like a faulty power line or something
That's what i was thinking in the beginning, but what i found out about the monitor is really strange, didn't even know it could affect a computer like that :unsure: