Question System does not detect RAM when starting

Tw33die

Reputable
Aug 31, 2020
Hi all

Unsure if this is an issue with the RAM or the Motherboard, but hopefully someone can help either way!

Basically, 9 times out of 10 when I boot up, the RAM (Corsair Dominator Plat DDR5) isn't recognised by either iCUE or CPU-Z. It is there, and the Windows system sees I have 32gb of RAM, but iCUE can't detect it (the lighting doesn't change to what it should and in iCUE there is a little red warning triangle saying it has 'Stopped detecting data from DRAM....'. In CPU-Z the issue is with SPD I think, as loading up CPU-Z hangs at that stage and inside that tab, it shows nothing in any of the 4 RAM slots. In the Memory tab it shows I have 32gb and the speeds are correct, but the SPD tab shows nothing at all??

I'm unsure if this is actually affecting performance, or just a visual thing.
I did see posts on Google saying that with ASUS boards, you can disable an SPD setting to fix the issue, but unfortunately I have an MSI board (MPG Carbon Wifi) and it doesn't have this setting. It has the latest BIOS and the RAM also does (I assume - iCUE, when it can detect the RAM, says there are no firmware updates).

Rebooting the PC SOMETIMES fixes the issue on the first reboot, but other times it can take 2-3 reboots back to back for the RAM to be recognised. It's very frustrating.

Greatly appreciate any help! ❤️(Just in case it is needed, I have Windows 11 and the PC is around 4-5 months old now).

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information. (Windows 11 noted - edition, version?)

Provided that I understand your post correctly you have that you have this motherboard:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI

(You mentioned ASUS but that does not appear to fit in. ???)

The starting point (ASUS or otherwise) is to obtain the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Refer to the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual to double check all supported components and configurations.

For example, some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a certain slot.

And you certainly need to go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to check the QVLs (Qualified Vendors List) to ensure that what you have installed is, indeed, supported.

Next double-check, via the motherboard's User Guide/Manual that all components are correctly installed and configured., Any SSD's or NVMes?

That all said:

Take a few minutes to power down, unplug, and open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, kinked or pinched wires, signs of melting, browning or blackening, loose or missing screws, etc..

Tw33die

Reputable
Aug 31, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information. (Windows 11 noted - edition, version?)

Hey thanks for replying!

The board is the Z690 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z690-CARBON-WIFI. The one you linked is the previous generation DDR4 version.

The PC was built for me by a reputable company who I have had several PC's from before, so I am confident that everything is installed correctly and is compatible. The RAM does work, but only occasionally is it being detected by the various programs.

(HWinfo64 also freezes when trying to detect the RAM when it doesn't boot correctly, I've just discovered).

Full specs -

Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2 OS Build 22000.795
MSI Carbon Wifi Z670 (MS-7D30) version 1.70
Core i9-12900K
Corsair Dominator Plat. RGB 32GB 5600Mhz DDR5
MSI Suprim RTX 3080Ti 12GB

The RAM is in slots 2 and 4 - it can't fit in slot 1 as the cooler tubes block that slot.

ASUS was mentioned as there is a fix to this issue apparently, which others have reported, but it is not one available to MSI motherboard owners it seems (only ASUS as there is an option within their BIOS).

Thanks again for offering assistance!

Ralston18

Titan
Here is the User Guide link that I found for your motherboard:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MPGZ690CARBONWIFI_FORCEWIFI.pdf

What is the current RAM configuration. 32 GB of RAM is mentioned so you have 2 x 16 GB modules - correct?

And, as I understand your post, RAM is installed in slots DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 - correct?

Did you install DIMMA2 first? From the User Guide, physically numbered Page 19:

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first". Hopefully the builder/company did that. Worth checking.

Again, double check that the installed RAM is indeed supported by the motherboard per Page 5 and via MSI's website QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

= = = =

Also of concern is the PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, newer, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining? PSU problems can, in turn, cause all sorts of varying system problems.

= = = =

Another thing you can do is to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur when the RAM is not recognized.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing. Event Viewer presents similar information but is more difficult to navigate and understand. However, no rush - just explore and get a sense of it all.

Both tools have click options to obtain more details. The details may or may not be fully understand and/or helpful. Specific error codes can be googled to find out more. Unfortunately most searches result in product ads suggesting that you download "X" to fix any given problem. Those links will show up no matter what error code or problem is being researched. Avoid any "solutions" that edit the Registry. Registry editing is a very last resort.