[SOLVED] System does not see NVME on boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Hi, yesterday I installed a Samsung 980 pro Nvme to the m.2 port of my mother board as os drive.

Things were going dandy, but this morning when I turned on the pc boot sequence failed as it did not “see” the new drive. I turned the system off and back on and it worked.

I then had to turn it off to attend other errands, and again when I came back startup would not work. And again turning the system off and on did the trick

My mother board is an Asus prime z390 a

Solution
Since it does same trick in 2 different PC, I would return it and get one that doesn't fall asleep like that.

Pretty good chance its the Nvme at this point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be motherboard or nvme... i said that before.
Without another nvme or another PC, its difficult to tell.

other nvme could be tested in both slots. provided its not sata
other pc, could test if drive disappears.

When I said I asked if other people had any ideas, I asked in another area. I don't know if anyone will reply. Maybe.

Reactions: savastanosacha

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
it could be motherboard or nvme... i said that before.
Without another nvme or another PC, its difficult to tell.

other nvme could be tested in both slots. provided its not sata
other pc, could test if drive disappears.

When I said I asked if other people had any ideas, I asked in another area. I don't know if anyone will reply. Maybe.
Lol it's sunday and I spent all morning experimenting on bios and stuff. I resetted the system dozens of times and it NEVER detected the Nvme.
Then, when I got fed up, I turned off and on again and here we are.
Why? What changes for the bios between a reset and a off/on?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why? What changes for the bios between a reset and a off/on?
Power modes maybe? the PC if it has fast startup off, is actually off when you shut it down, I assume the reset action in bios doesn't include a full shutdown.

Have I suggested a repair store yet as it would beat all the guessing. I am open to cause being something I haven't suggested yet. i don't like might be's and I seem to have a few. Maybe PSU, Maybe NVME, Maybe Motherboard. Its why I suggested repair store. They can check for sure. Put a known working nvme in both slots, turn PC on. See what happens... you can't play with parts you don't have spares of. They can.

Last edited:

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Yeah, I'm bringin it to the store tomorrow. It was more a matter of pride.

Because I really can't put my finger on the cause of the problem. I've seen faulty drives and mobos, but they either work or don't work, they don't work just in particular circumstances

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had a problem about 4 years ago where my monitor would just turn off. The reason being the GPU drivers would stop responding and after a certain number of retries, windows swaps to basic display drivers which couldn't run my 4k screen.

The actual cause wasn't GPU, we tried all sorts of things, different driver versions, tests, etc. Even reinstalling windows and it still happened. After 3 months of trying I took it to a repair store... they found nothing after running AIDA non stop for 2 days, but as soon as I got it home, it happened again... which told me something. It was caused by something I was plugging into PC. It soon became apparent it was my mouse. The chip on motherboard that controls GPU also looks after USB so if a device plays up, it can make others do it too.

So nothing wrong with getting a 2nd opinion from a repair store.

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I had a problem about 4 years ago where my monitor would just turn off. The reason being the GPU drivers would stop responding and after a certain number of retries, windows swaps to basic display drivers which couldn't run my 4k screen.

The actual cause wasn't GPU, we tried all sorts of things, different driver versions, tests, etc. Even reinstalling windows and it still happened. After 3 months of trying I took it to a repair store... they found nothing after running AIDA non stop for 2 days, but as soon as I got it home, it happened again... which told me something. It was caused by something I was plugging into PC. It soon became apparent it was my mouse. The chip on motherboard that controls GPU also looks after USB so if a device plays up, it can make others do it too.

So nothing wrong with getting a 2nd opinion from a repair store.
So, updates.

THe NVME put in a different PC boots ok but vanishes if the pc goes in standby, and you have to reboot it.
I'm still looking for another NVME unit in order to test both my m2 slots, but I think we have a winner.

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Forgot to give closure to this.
Yes, it was the NVME drive. I tested m2 slots with another drive and they both worked. Got another samsung 980 pro and it works perfectly, albeit at gen3 speed.
So, if anyone gets the same problem, you know what it is.

Reactions: Colif

TRENDING THREADS