Question System doesn't boot after working fine for over a year ?

Nov 8, 2020
Hi all,

I have used this self-built PC for over a year and this came unexpected, no windows update, no bios update, but now out of the blue it won't boot up, it doesn't even boot to the BIOS.

If I press the on button, the fan of the PSU and on the motherboard goes on for 0.2 seconds and there is a red debug light "CPU" going on for the same 0.2 seconds and then everything stops. The next time I try it, not even the fans will spin and no LED lights up.
Once disconnected from the power and after waiting for some minutes, the same as stated above happens.

Already tried:
  1. Different PSU --> the same happens.
  2. No RAM installed or different numbers in different RAM slots
  3. With / without GPU
  4. With / without all SATA devices
  5. With / without everything else connected to the motherboard
  6. Removed & reinstalled battery on mainboard
Hardware:
  1. Mainboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
  2. CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Do you have any ideas what it could be or is it definitely a broken mainboard?

Nov 8, 2020
try cpu in another pc if you can, broken gpu wouldnt make everything stop, mobo could be dead or cpu dead would be my guess
Thank you for your answer!
Unfortunately I can't test the CPU in another pc due to the new form factor.
Any other suggestions how I could figure out if it's the mobo or the CPU or should I just buy a new mobo? But does this happen a lot that you need to replace the mobo after 1 year?

Nov 3, 2020
Thank you for your answer!
Unfortunately I can't test the CPU in another pc due to the new form factor.
Any other suggestions how I could figure out if it's the mobo or the CPU or should I just buy a new mobo? But does this happen a lot that you need to replace the mobo after 1 year?
not sure how to check that if you it turns off instantly, but did you check the the pins on the cpu and mobo< maybesome are bent or broken. or smth like loose screws causeing powershortage? check every connection cautiously

Reactions: nicolas123
Nov 8, 2020
not sure how to check that if you it turns off instantly, but did you check the the pins on the cpu and mobo< maybesome are bent or broken. or smth like loose screws causeing powershortage? check every connection cautiously
Yes, just checked everything - all looks fine, even installed the mobo outside the case and separated the PSU to make sure there is no shortage possibility and it's just the same, it doesn't even load the bios...