System drive invisible

damurphy

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
When I run defrag on Windows 10 one of the drives shown is System (which is 97% fragmented) yet when I run defrag on that drive it doesn't unfrag. I cannot see that drive listed when I look on file explorer. Can you help?

Solution
upload the photo to an image sharing site like imgur and share a link here

how big is the system partition?

Is it an ssd or hdd? If its an ssd, defrag won't run on it as it doesn't work with ssd. They use a different process that is done automatically by windows.

If its a hidden drive it won't show in explorer, as they don't have drive letters. Win 10 has 4 partitions on the drive C is on, it normally only shows one of them though. The other three are used for various reasons, System is used for booting windows and is always hidden.

Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR...

damurphy

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
OK I can see the system drive there, but how do I defrag it. I can send a screen shot but how do I send it? I tried pasting it here from clipboard but it doesn't show.

Colif

Win 11 Master
upload the photo to an image sharing site like imgur and share a link here

how big is the system partition?

Is it an ssd or hdd? If its an ssd, defrag won't run on it as it doesn't work with ssd. They use a different process that is done automatically by windows.

If its a hidden drive it won't show in explorer, as they don't have drive letters. Win 10 has 4 partitions on the drive C is on, it normally only shows one of them though. The other three are used for various reasons, System is used for booting windows and is always hidden.

Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution