[SOLVED] System either not fully shut down or stay at Restart stage forever

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have been using my DIY PC with Gigabyte Aordus Z390 Xtreme for a year without major issue. For the past week, whenever I choose Restart, it keeps showing Restart in the middle of the screen without actually restarting even the entire night has passed. As for choosing to shut down, it seems that it does not shut down completely because although the screen is blank and the display shows no input signal, a lot of the time the RGB on the motherboard and on the Corsair mouse pad are still on. I need to hard press the power key on the PC for a few seconds for the RGB to be turned off completely.

Not sure if it is related to the issues mentioned in these two threads:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-i-shutdown-windows-10.3562842/#post-21514869

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-in-external-enclosure.3563644/#post-21523446

The "Restarting word showing up on screen but not restarting even for over 8 hours" issue seems to have started when I unplugged a Sabrent SSD enclosure via disconnecting the connector between the cable and the enclosure. Interestingly, after doing that, the Desktop PC automatically labelled it as Drive E and be able to recognize and mount the drive.

Note that the issues of System either not fully shut down or stay at Researt forever happens even this Sabrent SSD is not connected to the PC.

Solution
Try this. Full instructions at the link below, quick instructions below that. Run DISM first, SFC Scannow second.

Run the DISM Command to Fix SFC Problems

You shouldn’t normally have to run the DISM command. However, if the SFC command fails to run properly or can’t replace a corrupted file with the correct one, the DISM command—or System Update Readiness Tool in Windows 7—can sometimes fix the underlying Windows system and make SFC run correctly.

To run the DISM command in Windows 8 and 10, open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges. Type the following command and then press Enter to have DISM check...
Try disabling hibernation.

To Disable Hibernation:

1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, right click on the start menu and click "Command Prompt (Admin)".
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter.
  3. Exit the command prompt.
  4. Hibernation is now disabled.

If necessary, try flipping the switch on the back of the power supply to the "0" position for about five minutes, then back to the "I" position, to completely reset the power cycle, Then power on, boot into Windows and disable hibernation. Then restart or shut down and power back up to see if the problem remains.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Try disabling hibernation.

To Disable Hibernation:

1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, right click on the start menu and click "Command Prompt (Admin)".
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter.
  3. Exit the command prompt.
  4. Hibernation is now disabled.
If necessary, try flipping the switch on the back of the power supply to the "0" position for about five minutes, then back to the "I" position, to completely reset the power cycle, Then power on, boot into Windows and disable hibernation. Then restart or shut down and power back up to see if the problem remains.

Thanks. I tried but unfortunately, it is getting worse. Now, even shutting down has the same issue as restarting. i.e. some dots moving in circle and "Shutting Down"/"Restarting" on the screen forever.

Try this. Full instructions at the link below, quick instructions below that. Run DISM first, SFC Scannow second.

Run the DISM Command to Fix SFC Problems

You shouldn’t normally have to run the DISM command. However, if the SFC command fails to run properly or can’t replace a corrupted file with the correct one, the DISM command—or System Update Readiness Tool in Windows 7—can sometimes fix the underlying Windows system and make SFC run correctly.

To run the DISM command in Windows 8 and 10, open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges. Type the following command and then press Enter to have DISM check your Windows component store for corruption and automatically fix any problems it finds.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Allow the command to finish running before closing the Command Prompt window. This may take five to ten minutes. It’s normal for the progress bar to stay at 20 percent for a while, so don’t worry about that.

If the results of the DISM command state that anything was changed, restart your PC and you should then be able to run the SFC command successfully.

On Windows 7 and earlier, the DISM command isn’t available. Instead, you can download and run the System Update Readiness Tool from Microsoft and use it to scan your system for problems and attempt to fix them.

After running the DISM, run SFC Scannow.

At the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter to run a full system scan and have SFC attempt repairs:

sfc /scannow

Leave the Command Prompt window open until the command completes, which may take some time. If everything is fine, you’ll see the message “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.”

RELATED: How to Use Safe Mode to Fix Your Windows PC (and When You Should)

If you see a “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” message, try restarting your PC in Safe Mode and running the command again. And if that fails, you can also try booting with your installation media or recovery disc and trying the command from there.

Reactions: modeonoff
Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
No improvement. At this stage, is it easier to just reinstall Windows? I have two NVMe SSD on my PC. One for Windows 10 and the other for Linux. If I go for that route, is it better to remove the SSD for Linux to avoid messing up the system/bootloader?

Yes. Your problem could be related to the dual boot configuration or incompatibilities with the boot loader.

I'd recommend disconnecting and see if the problems are resolved. If not, try a clean install without any linux drive attached to the system. In fact, you don't want ANY other drives attached when you install windows except the target drive for the OS and the drive you are installing from whether it is USB or optical drive.

My guide will walk you through a clean install THE RIGHT WAY, step by step, if you are unfamiliar with the proper procedures for a clean install.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Yes. Your problem could be related to the dual boot configuration or incompatibilities with the boot loader.

I'd recommend disconnecting and see if the problems are resolved. If not, try a clean install without any linux drive attached to the system. In fact, you don't want ANY other drives attached when you install windows except the target drive for the OS and the drive you are installing from whether it is USB or optical drive.

My guide will walk you through a clean install THE RIGHT WAY, step by step, if you are unfamiliar with the proper procedures for a clean install.

This is really strange...

I tried your method but there was no improvement. So I reported back and asked if it is better to reinstall Windows. Then, since yesterday, the computer can shutdown and reboot the normal way. How come? It seems to take two force shut down for your commands to take effect.

Last edited: