System Error "The device, \Device\Harddisk4\DR4, has a bad block"

Nickiel12

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
I was playing minecraft, listening to music, when the music got staticy, like a bad cd, and then my computer froze. I found this error in event viewer. "The device, \Device\Harddisk4\DR4, has a bad block". On my last computer, I had a similar problem. I went through and removed different pieces of RAM, and the problem stopped. The DDR4 RAM in this computer is less than 3 months old, and I would like to be sure before I call on the warranty. However, I read somewhere else that this could indicate my SSD. So any help is appreciated.

Edit: Looking back in event viewer, this error preceded the one stated above. "The IO operation at logical block address 0x91a560 for Disk 4 (PDO name: \Device\00000081) failed due to a hardware error."

Solution

Yes. It's happened to me about 7-10 years ago.

mgallo848

Commendable
Your error did state "The IO operation at logical block address 0x91a560 for Disk 4 (PDO name: \Device\00000081) failed due to a hardware error.""

By the looks of the picture it is "Disk 4" that is giving you the "caution" light. I would try disconnect the bad disk and see if that fixes your issue.

Nickiel12

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

but would a drive that has no software on it cause a computer freeze?

mgallo848

Commendable

Yes. It's happened to me about 7-10 years ago.

Solution