System Eternally Boots

kinan525

Reputable
May 17, 2015
I recently built my very first computer, and upon started, it would eternally boot if the RAM was in dual channel slots. I remove 1 of them, and it starts up just fine. Could my motherboard be at fault or is it something in the settings I have to set? My motherboard is an MSI Gaming 5 model, and my RAM is 1600mhz ddr3 16gb ram. When I try one stick in slot's 3 and 4, they don't boot either, thus preventing me from using dual channel. :(

Solution
Just for the sake of possible user manual errors, which I've seen on several occasions with MSI boards, try them in slots 1 and 2, then run CPU-Z and check the "memory" tab to see if dual or single channel operation is indicated in the channel box.

You might also want to reset the BIOS to optimal defaults, or manually verify that the settings for the memory match those of your modules.

kinan525

Reputable
May 17, 2015

Motherboard: Z97 MSI Gaming 5 [(not sure what the model or revision number is so here's a link ( http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#hero-overview)]
PSU: AX860 80+ Platinum
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC
CPU: i7 4790K
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 Red DDR3 16gb (2x8gb) 1600mhz

I put the sticks in slot 2 and 4, and I tried with 1 and 3. I used each individual RAM on 1 or 2 and both sticks/slots work. I've updated my BIOS and it still eternally boots and shuts down.

Just for the sake of possible user manual errors, which I've seen on several occasions with MSI boards, try them in slots 1 and 2, then run CPU-Z and check the "memory" tab to see if dual or single channel operation is indicated in the channel box.

You might also want to reset the BIOS to optimal defaults, or manually verify that the settings for the memory match those of your modules.

Solution

kinan525

Reputable
May 17, 2015

I will test these, but I'd like to point out that I turned on my computer before giving my CPU power; it turned on just fine and there were no shutting down. Once I wired my CPU, it began the crashing with the dual channel memory. Could it be the pins on the CPU are bent? I'm fairly knew to building computers lol