System Failed CPU Test error message

Therlian

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I have an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo and an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor.

The system works fine and has never given me any trouble. Well, I have a sound card installed and decided that for gaming I wanted to use the sound card for my primary speakers and use the on board Nvidia for a mic and headphones for TeamSpeak. Well, this is the first time I've decided to use the on board sound and whenever I launch an application, I keep getting an error stating "System Failed CPU Test" in the ASUS female voice that is the POST reporter. I went into the BIOS and disabled the voice reporter which stopped anything from being reported during boot, however I am still getting the message while in Windows.

I have updated the chipset drivers as well as upgraded to the latest BIOS version 1013. I have also done a full reset of the BIOS.

I don't really care if the voice thing thinks I have an issue or not, I'm just looking for a way to shut it up. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
if you disable 1 or both of the soundcards, do you still get the cpu post msg or the error in windows?

the cpu post msg normally means the pc was shut off at the PSU or for some reason the bios isnt keeping its settings.

Therlian

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
If I disable the on board sound then I do not hear the message anymore, as that is the only source of the error message. The problem is however, I want to use the on board sound for my headset and mic.

I have verified that the BIOS is keeping the correct settings.

I may not have explained the issue very clearly before. The error message happens when the computer POSTs and in Windows, however I can disable the Speech Reporting in the BIOS to get the message to stop at POST, however it still happens in Windows when an application launches that uses any significant amount of processing power. All it does is keep saying "System Failed CPU Test" over and over out of the on board *sound card*.

It is likely that the system has been doing this for a long time and I just never noticed, as I've never before attempted to use the on board sound.