"system failed CPU test" overheats at 50C

wanana

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Hi, I need your help...

My computer has been acting weird lately. The first time it went wrong it suddenly got stuck, and when I tried to start it it kept giving me the "system failed CPU test" audio message. When I looked this up it said that the factors for this problem are the CPU, motherboard and PSU. Because my PSU was making weird sounds I decided to replace this first. This however didn't solve the problem, and I don't feel like replacing anything else without knowing what the problem is. I removed the heatsink fan from the CPU and saw that the gel had dried up. I put new gel on it, and the computer started up again. However, it keeps getting stuck at 50C and won't start up again untill I nudge the heatsink fan a little. What could be the problem? I have already flashed the bios with the latest version.

These are my stats;
Motherboard: Asus P5GD2 Premium
CPU: Pentium 4, 3.2GHz
Memory: 3Gb
PSU: OCZ Stealth 600Watt

Thanks in advance for your help

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
it sounds like you might have fried your processor.

THe "failed cpu test" is a POST message. THat is from the bios checking all of the components before the OS loads.

Also make sure that the HS is making total contact with teh CPU itself. Take the HS off and see if the "gel" spread over the whole CPU.