Question System fails to post, no display output after forced restart.

Aug 25, 2019
Msi Titanium x370 motherboard,
Ryzen 7 x1700 cpu
Corsair dominator dd4 4 ram 16gb's
kingston 500 gb ssd

The problem, and it's foxed me completely

Started out, i had left pc on over night downloading a file, when i got to it in the morning the monitor had obviously gone into sleep mode but pc was unresponsive to mouse or keyboard input. So after a couple of attempts to get a response from the pc i had to force restart it. Since then it will not boot up.

Ive tried a fair few different suggestions, and have now go to the stage where it's stripped down to bare essentials, 1 stick of ram, 1 drive (the normal windows boot ssd) and only onboard graphics.

No sign of the post screen so cannot enter bios, cmos has been cleared, onboard led's not showing any errors, led hex codes i'm getting are supposedly not in use, according to msi site they're reserved for future use.

I've changed hdmi cables, still nothing, tried onboard hdmi slot as well as the gpu, not getting anything from either. Tried switching to a wired keyboard / wireless keyboard etc.

Most times having made any changes i get a 9E code even with only the 1 drive connected. Very rarely i get a 90 code which is searching for bootable device and it just sit's there hanging. i'm just not getting any output graphics wise at all.

Only thing i haven't tried yet as i've not had a chance to make one is a bootable usb drive either a recovery usb or just a plain liux, but i'm getting the impression something else is wrong if i can't even get into bios.

I'm at the stage i'm willing to try anything short of dropping it out the window for a papwerwieght.

Something else i've thought might be worth a try would be to reflash the bios from scratch but tbh i've never done that so kind of a last resort thing

Any other ideas greatfully given a go :)

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to inlcude your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Regarding flashing the BIOS, make sure you've got a FAT32 formatted Pen drive with the BIOS file on the root directory. How long did you have the battery out of the board? FYI, that R7 1700 does not have any iGPU on that CPU. So you're going to need to rely on a discrete GPU to get display.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to inlcude your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Regarding flashing the BIOS, make sure you've got a FAT32 formatted Pen drive with the BIOS file on the root directory. How long have you popped out the battery from the board? FYI, that R7 1700 does not have any iGPU on that CPU. So you're going to need to rely on a discrete GPU to get display.

Apologies, i've included as much detail as i can off the top of my head, i'm currently at work with no access to said pc, these detials from purchase history, i've managed to dig up on my phone

CPU: Ryxen 7 x1700
Motherboard: MSI x370 xpower gaming titanium
Ram: Corsair CMD32gx4m2c3200c16 Dominator platinium ddr 3200 mhz
GPU: evga geforce ftx 1080 ftw hybrid
PSU: corsair platinium series 1200 w modular psu
Chassis: EVGA DG-87
OS: Windows 10 pro if i could get the thing to start up

I took the battery out of the board for at least 30 mins.

Unfortunately i don't have a space gpu to pop in but i'm sure i can get hold of one from a friend in the next day or 3

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Regarding flashing the BIOS, make sure you've got a FAT32 formatted Pen drive with the BIOS file on the root directory. How long have you popped out the battery from the board? FYI, that R7 1700 does not have any iGPU on that CPU. So you're going to need to rely on a discrete GPU to get display.

Apologies, having searched through my purchase history i've got more details on exact specs,

CPU:
No worries! Get back to us when you get back to the system.

Added and edited post to include as much detail as i'm able to get currently.

TRENDING THREADS