System Freeze after New CPU Installation

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hey all

So i bought a brand new CPU the AMD Athlon II 630 Quad Core 2.8 to replace my AMD 6000+ and after 2 mins past the bios and into the OS (Windows 7) I get a system freeze. Before buying this CPU i did do a BIOS update to support AM3 on my motherboard as it is an AM2+ socket. I have now reverted back to using my 6000+ CPU which works fine.

Things I have tried:

-Changing cooler from my Noctua to the stock cooler
-Using only one stick of RAM
-Reformatting which resulted in a freeze half way through

System Specs
MSI K9A2VM-FD 780V Socket AM2+
Coolermaster 700W Power Supply
4 GB Geil RAM DDR2 800
XFX ATI 5770
Creative X FI Xtreme Gamer
CM STORM Case

I am out of ideas :S
Thanks

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Oh yea i tried that too. I took out the battery for 5 mins then put it back in and it was still freezing

Taking the battery out for five minutes does not clear the CMOS RAM; the contents of the CMOS RAM can last for days without a battery. Follow the motherboards manual instructions and link the appropriate pins with the power off to guarantee that you clear the CMOS RAM.

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Oh thanks i'll try that and let you know how that turns out

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
OK well i tried resetting the CMOS with the pins and it did make progress. I got past the welcome screen then about 4 seconds in i got a blue screen of death saying "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION"
After that i was unable to get past the welcome screen once again due to a freeze. The BIOS does recognizes the CPU in SYSTEM INFORMATION. Everything in the cell menu is set to AUTO as default.

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Have you definately checked the PCB Version and BIOS do support the CPU?

Also have you tried booting up in safe mode? Possibly could be driver issues within Windows 7?

If nothing else works back up all your data with the 6000+ in and reinstall 7.

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Yes the BIOS was updated to the latest version with MSI Live update. What do you mean by the PCB version?
I've tried booting in safe mode the same thing happens.. system freeze
I ended up reformatting yesterday with the 6000+ and since then today i have tried reinserting the 630 X4 but the same thing happens.
I really dont know wat to do anymore :S

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Its pointing to a hardware issue then, still to rule things out try reinstalling windows with the 630 X4 in?

Otherwise it maybe time to to RMA the CPU, if you're sure that the board supports the new CPU.

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Yup i tried reformatting with the X4 630. It froze the system at 29% of installation
And the CPU is brand new so it would be really strange if it were faulty :S
I'm still wondering if its something to do with the voltages

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Its always a possibility, new things can still be faulty. I've had brand new motherboards and HDDs have faults from the word go and have had to be returned.

Granted its rare but it does happen.

Just to be sure there is nothing else new on your system? You haven't knocked the SATA cable or anything have you? Although then again the system wouldn't run right with the 6000+ in if you had.

I still either think that the new CPU is either faulty or your board doesn't support it, try contacting MSI with the serial number and see what they come back with.

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

No the CPU is the only component that is new.
Oh thanks i didnt think to contact MSI with the serial number i'll do that now and keep you updated. Thanks for your help.

I am glad that resetting the CMOS properly helped a bit in getting your system going, thinking about it you are replacing a dual core processor with a quad core processor, I don’t think that you can do this without reinstalling Windows. I could be wrong as I have never tried this but I think that I am right.

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Yh that does make sense with the dual core to quad but its just so disorientated when im booting up with the quad core. I havnt even seen a speed difference...