[SOLVED] System freezes after mobo and CPU upgrade ?

kurpingspace

Honorable
Oct 22, 2017
ever since i went from...

ryzen 5 2600x to ryzen 7 5800x
ASROCK b450m pro4 to gigabyte a520m s2h

my system at idle would occasionally go into 5 fps mode for 3 seconds before everything going back to normal. it's rare but it happens at least once every reboot. during high loads the system would just freeze up at random. it seems to be when you ask the computer to do something like click or alt tab or something.

so far i've tried updating bios, turning off extreme memory profile, looked at temps.. one time it froze at 62 C

one the system is frozen i can't do anything. can't press any keys, display is just the last frame before freezing, sound still plays (if i remember correctly). this issue happens both on windows and linux OS so it must be hardware related.

the only thing left on my mind is that i have gotten some thermal paste on the CPU pins, but i've cleaned it off using toothbrush and iso alcohol, nothing left.

Solution
nevermind. I spoke too soon! ;-) just froze on me 5 minutes later i posted a reply

You haven't answered an important questions, as set out by @Lutfij

Is it the same windows install that was on the B450 that is now on an A520? You need to do a fresh install of Windows, because there may be a software issue with older drivers from the older board.

Just bite the bullet, and re-do the install with correct drivers from the start. I suspect this will fix your issue.

kurpingspace

Honorable
Oct 22, 2017
Thank you for your quick reply. I haven't reinstalled any OS. I just have linux on my NVME and windows on my HDD, and i choose what device to boot from to get my OS.

BIOS version is currently F15e . but i've had issues at F14 as well.

nevermind. I spoke too soon! ;-) just froze on me 5 minutes later i posted a reply

Is it the same windows install that was on the B450 that is now on an A520? You need to do a fresh install of Windows, because there may be a software issue with older drivers from the older board.

Just bite the bullet, and re-do the install with correct drivers from the start. I suspect this will fix your issue.

Reactions: Lutfij
Solution

kurpingspace

Honorable
Oct 22, 2017

Reinstalling debian fixed this problem. Strange how two different operating systems have the exact same symptoms. Thanks so much

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead