Question System freezes after windows loading screen

Mar 2, 2019
I'm running windows 7 ultimate.
I've done all the basic repair stuff. I've already pressed f8.

Tldr: it starts in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

Here's what I know. My computer started fine today, everything was normal. Then, shortly after hitting the desktop it froze. Hard freeze had to do a hard reset. Upon restarting it I got to the login screen and it froze again. Another hard reset, now it doesn't even get to the login screen. Windows loads, then monitor input stops before the login screen and the fan starts working really hard.
System restore got me back to the login screen, once. But then it was back to loss of monitor input the restart after that.
Safe mode works but safe mode with networking doesn't. I want to do a repair install but apparently you need to boot normally, not in safe mode, to do that. It's not even an option when booting from disk. For some frustrating reason. Ideally I don't want to do a fresh install of Windows, I just did that a year ago.

My idea is it's data corruption in a network driver or maybe a corrupt registry item as my computer bluescreens frequently (Not the problem I need to fix right now, and it happens even after a fresh install of Windows so it's likely not the immediate cause of the problem aside from the corruption it may cause)
So now that the basic repair options aside from a reinstall seem to be exhausted, what other steps can I take to diagnose this problem. Thanks :)

Just realized I put this is hardware instead of software. Oops

Mod edit: Thread moved to Windows 7 section

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2019
It was the network card. Hardware failure. I've been waiting to see if it was also causing the bluescreens but it seems it was not the cause of those.