Question System Freezes running Cinebench R20 or Prime95

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Trying to run Cinebench R20 or Prime95 and after the tests start running the system just locks up/freezes and needs manually reset at the case.
Temps at low usage such as typing this post sit around the 48-52C mark.

Any ideas?

Spec:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (Noctua NL-9x65 AM4 Cooler)
MB: MSI B450M Mortar
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 Dual OC 6GB
SSD: WD Blue NVMe 250GB M.2
HDD: Toshiba High Performance 2TB
PSU: Corsair CX450M
Case: In Win 301

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
this is definitely a temp problem, first check if you have applied thermal paste correctly and reseat your cpu cooler. if that doesn't work then you should probably get another one.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
How is that a temp problem? 52C is extremely cold under load.

OP, try running your RAM at 2133mhz and see if it is stable. if so, then that means your CPU can't run your memory at its rated speed with its current voltages. Overvolt the SOC to around 1.13v and see if that helps.

SOC currently 1.15v according to MSI Command Centre. I will reset everything to default and retry.

That said, I just cleaned and reapplied TIM to the Noctua and now I am 38-40C under this light load with an speeds about 15% down at 1950RPM.

Is the Noctua up to the job? I know it's not the NH-D15 but he NH-L9x65 got OK reviews.

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
How is that a temp problem? 52C is extremely cold under load.

OP, try running your RAM at 2133mhz and see if it is stable. if so, then that means your CPU can't run your memory at its rated speed with its current voltages. Overvolt the SOC to around 1.13v and see if that helps.
52c while typing is not low, how did you even come up with that? 52-60 should be normal temps while gaming period.. anything above 45-50c while typing or idle is bad temps and an indicator of a bad cpu cooler..

as you can see, he fixed it by doing what i suggested..

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
SOC currently 1.15v according to MSI Command Centre. I will reset everything to default and retry.

That said, I just cleaned and reapplied TIM to the Noctua and now I am 38-40C under this light load with an speeds about 15% down at 1950RPM.

Is the Noctua up to the job? I know it's not the NH-D15 but he NH-L9x65 got OK reviews.
yes the noctua is fine as long as you seat it correctly and apply thermal paste adequately.. even on the noctua you should not be sitting at 52c while typing..

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
52c while typing is not low, how did you even come up with that? 52-60 should be normal temps while gaming period.. anything above 45-50c while typing or idle is bad temps and an indicator of a bad cpu cooler..

as you can see, he fixed it by doing what i suggested..

Did he say his system isn't crashing any longer? He just says his CPU is running cooler now. If It's crashing around the 48-52C mark, that means it isn't because of the temperatures, because the temperature regardless of how heavy the activity isn't what's causing it, purely because anything below 60 degrees is considered a pretty cool temperature overall. It is rather a setting based on the voltage or the RAM that is causing instability.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
So system still crashed after the TIM reapplication. I set everything back to default and then re-ran Cinebench. Passed OK.
I have now ramped up my clock speeds to 4.0GHz @ 1.3v with 1.125v SOC and RAM at 2800Mhz (XMP profile 1) and Cinebench passed at that. This was done incrementally, re-testing after each increment.

So seems stable, BUT... Temps whilst posting this are back up at 50C and idling around 42-45C (with odd spikes up to 53C now and again before it drops back).

Maybe need the NHD15 or the Black Rock mega cooler?

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Did he say his system isn't crashing any longer? He just says his CPU is running cooler now. If It's crashing around the 48-52C mark, that means it isn't because of the temperatures, because the temperature regardless of how heavy the activity isn't what's causing it, purely because anything below 60 degrees is considered a pretty cool temperature overall. It is rather a setting based on the voltage or the RAM that is causing instability.
i was talking about the temps, by fixed i meant he decreased his temps by at least 10c. which is starting somewhere, i have had a similar issue before and it turned out to be the cooler, once i fixed that, it fixed my issue.

So system still crashed after the TIM reapplication. I set everything back to default and then re-ran Cinebench. Passed OK.
I have now ramped up my clock speeds to 4.0GHz @ 1.3v with 1.125v SOC and RAM at 2800Mhz (XMP profile 1) and Cinebench passed at that. This was done incrementally, re-testing after each increment.

So seems stable, BUT... Temps whilst posting this are back up at 50C and idling around 42-45C (with odd spikes up to 53C now and again before it drops back).

Maybe need the NHD15 or the Black Rock mega cooler?

i have had something similar happen to me before and it turned out to be the cooler. this is why i am sure..
i'm going to assume that your rams are on your motherboard's QVL list, otherwise you shouldn't have bought them, so going with that they shouldnt run into any stability issues running @advertised speeds which is 3000mhz.
but you could run a mentest and see what happens, if it still crash try running each stick alone and see what happens

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
So replaced the Noctua with a 120mm AIO (Antec Mercury 120RGB) and set the memory back to XMP profile 2 (2933MHz) and passing Cinebench a-ok with idle temps of 25-30 degrees for the first hour and then 35-40 thereafter.
Peak temp in Cinebench was 70 degrees.

Seems to be running much better now. So 2600 is OC to 4GHz on 1.3v and memory is stock at 2933MHz.

Getting 75-80fps on Wildlands at very high settings. Much happier with the system now.

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
So replaced the Noctua with a 120mm AIO (Antec Mercury 120RGB) and set the memory back to XMP profile 2 (2933MHz) and passing Cinebench a-ok with idle temps of 25-30 degrees for the first hour and then 35-40 thereafter.
Peak temp in Cinebench was 70 degrees.

Seems to be running much better now. So 2600 is OC to 4GHz on 1.3v and memory is stock at 2933MHz.

Getting 75-80fps on Wildlands at very high settings. Much happier with the system now.

i immediately knew it when you described your issue, i am happy that your system is much stable .. glad that you listened to me when two other people went against me..
Happy gaming

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
i immediately knew it when you described your issue, i am happy that your system is much stable .. glad that you listened to me when two other people went against me..
Happy gaming

Thanks. Just played a full hour on Wildlands and never broke 55°C. Running so much better now that the cooler seems to be shifting the air better.