Question System freezes since reverting to stock CPU speed ?

Sep 6, 2021
I have had my system now for about a year and a half, and have done a safe overclock on my cpu since December 2020.

System:
9600k (overclock 5.0ghz at 1.35v)
Z390-e
G-Skill 3200 16gb
750w Corsair gold psu
2080 super.

Everything had been fine, but wanted to revert back to stock CPU speeds due to a game crashing. Upon resetting bios, windows started freezing.

Steps taken:
  • Update bios, while trying different versions. It's now on the latest 1902
  • Reinstalled windows, this was very tedious because it kept freezing!
  • Unplugging gpu and using integrated graphics allowed for fresh install.
  • Removed newly added sleeve extensions to ensure they weren't faulty(had for about 2 weeks)
  • Replugged gpu in and Stress tested gpu with 0 issues.
  • Changed memory, no fix
  • Stress tested CPU and almost instantly crashes.
  • Upon downloading games I crash as well.
  • Have forced windows to use 6 cores for the CPU, no fix.
All of this due to a bios being set back to default? I'm completely lost on why an overclocked cpu being restored to default would cause the system to behave this way.

Note: when I first put the build together, I had the same issue when installing windows. Downloading drivers worked. Then I froze when windows boots. Uninstalling Nzxt software fixed that.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

overclock 5.0ghz at 3.5v
Is that a typo?

while trying different versions
Never downgrade the BIOS, always move forward. Unless stated otherwise by the board maker.

The latest BIOS version is 1903, here, not 1902. Did you recreate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Corsair is the brand, 750W is the wattage while Gold is the 80+ efficiency rating, what model is the unit and how old is it?

How are you cooling that K suffix porocessor?

Sep 6, 2021
Thanks! I have been a lurker for sometime now, and the forums have defiantly helped me in the past.

Looked like 1902 and 1903 were uploaded the same day, but the only difference was 1903 was windows 11 ready. I'll give it a shot though.

CPU voltage was at 1.35v

PSU is RM750 and had this since December 2019.

CPU is being cooled with the Nzxt water cooling

Windows I downloaded the iso directly from there site. Then used Rufus to make a bootable USB with it.

Sep 6, 2021
I have now stressed tested the CPU while utilizing the integrated graphics. GPU is still plugged in. NO CRASH

Stress tested the gpu while using it as the primary graphics/display and no crash,

I am leading towards maybe a bad PSU? Still do not understand how reverting an overclock to reduce the total amount of power being used would result in the PC freezing

Sep 6, 2021
Have gone and bought a new PSU, same rm750 Corsair, swapped all wires and same issue. Leaning towards motherboard at this point.

Could I need a 850w maybe?

Sep 6, 2021
No, it was a very basic overclock, sitting at the 5.0 GHz. Never seen the CPU exceed dangerous temps. After resetting bios, I have stress tested the cpu while using integrated graphics, and it ran fine.