System freezes, then displays a blue error screen before shutting down.

fishandchips

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
My PC will occasionally freeze. It's a gradual process. For example, first the web browser will stop responding. Then Microsoft word will freeze and I can't click anything in it. At this point I can still move my mouse, and mousing over shortcuts in the taskbar will highlight them. I can do this, but eventually those shortcuts will stop highlighting as well. In about a minute, the whole system shuts down and displays a blue error screen. Something like, "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart. We'll do something and restart it for you." However, when it restarts itself, i get a black screen with white text:

Reboot and select proper boot device, or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key_

Any key I press will just display the message again. I always just force shut down the PC and start it up again.

This has been going on for awhile now, and I could put up with it at first but now It's getting annoying and I'd like to fix it. I use the PC recreationally (doing work on my laptop) so I haven't ever lost anything important in this manner. However, I don't want this to be a constant risk. Please help.

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz
Corsair CX 600W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal HD
Windows 8.1
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

fishandchips

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

I have revision 4.0 of the motherboard.
This is the part number for the RAM: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Here's a PCpartpickerlink as well: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbxl

I am unfamiliar with DRAM Timings and Memory Clock settings, but would be open to becoming more familiar with them.

This

Reboot and select proper boot device, or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key_ means the hdd isnt the bootdisk. Or something like a flash drive maybe plugged in. And it's trying to boot from it

Change the bootdisk to the hdd in the BIOS

If you can get into it upload the dmp file/s somewhere then post the link