System freezes under graphics load, other accompanying issues

MaizeHorizon0

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
I have an ageing homebuilt pc. After moving to university, I added the wireless adapter listed below. No other setup changes. I have since been battling many issues:

1. Freeze at the start: any time my computer is being started or restarted it freezes when windows begin to load. Many times this is accompanied by some black pixels changing colour like artefacts in a photo. Upon restarting the pc again,(immediately after the screen turns off) the PC will start normally.

Tests: -Unplugging the wireless adapter before start seems to lessen its occurrence.

2. The CPU fan is running slower, less efficiently, "failing": I mention this only as it may have an effect on other issues. The main CPU fan is failing with a vibration and low output. This has caused an increase in temperature, which is being compensated by the case fans until a new CPU fan can be installed.

3. Random Lockups during medium to high graphics output: I've encountered this issue previously, but only once in a blue moon. Now, I can guarantee that within an hour of playing a high-resolution video, or "GTA V" the PC will lock up. This is characterized by the screens displaying their last frame, and the last audio bit coming from the speakers blaring almost deafeningly in a loud whine or hum. It changes based on what noise was coming out of the speakers last.

Tests: -PSU: voltages monitored up until the crash, with last displayed frame showing normal voltages for all rails. Little to no fluctuation.
-CPU: I've run large Cpu based loads, with no issues. 100 chrome tabs? Handles it like a champ. Film editing? Does fine. Temps are elevated, as mentioned, but is running fine. CPU/NB voltages were also reconfigured, had little to no observable effect, likely a coincidence.
-GPU: -Updated to the latest drivers, no effect.
-Event log: -states generic "last shutdown was unexpected".
-Driver\WudfRd failed to load.-likely unrelated
-Saw a recommendation to stop "audiodg.exe", had no effect.

Operating temps:
-CPU: 45C idle, 53-57C loaded(According to AI suite)
-GPU: 47C idle, 50C watching a 1080p youtube video
-Motherboard/RAM: 30C

Specs are as follows:
-AMD FX6300(sort of stock clock, not sure on the exact config for stock)
-ASUS M5A97 r2.0 mobo
-Club 3d R9 280 GPU(stock clock)
-Samsung 850 Evo(boot, windows 8.1), WD Blue 1TB drive, Kingston 240gb SSD, 2TB WD external drive
-Corsair CXM 750W PSU, plugged into UPS
-TP-link WN722-N USB wireless adapter
-1440p main monitor, 1080p secondary

I'm lost as to what else I should try, except replace the GPU and replace the CPU fan. I inspected the GPU and there was little dust buildup, the heatsink may have had a little shimmy to it but I tightened it down with less than a quarter turn on the screws.

What should I test next?

The CPU heatsink fan also helps tends to help airflow around the VRMS, which are clustered around and behind the CPU towards the rear of the case. Front case fans generally don't tend to help airflow here as much if an aircooloer is in the way. Dedicated cooling for the VRMS with a fan on that area may help, as well as replacing the failing CPU heatsink fan, will help trouble shoot if those are the problems.

An ugly, inelegant, dusty, noisy, but effective airflow test could also be done by removing the side of the case, and setting up a 20 inch box fan to blow air into the case at an angle. You should check the CFM rating of your current fans, but even several 140MM fans won't have anywhere close to the 2500CFM a 20 inch boxfan can deliver. This test is even more effective in a breadboarded or open test rig, as turbulence is further reduced.

MaizeHorizon0

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015

The last thing I have done was put the box on its side, and cleaned the air filters. There has been little to no temperature change in the upright position, however on its side, there is an overall lower temperature, even though no fans have been covered or uncovered. Since turning it on its side the freezing issue has stopped. Even after being righted again it is purring away. Perhaps it is a bad connection to a component like the GPU?