[SOLVED] System freezes with 3090 FE and LG CX

AppleCider

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
Okay, this issue is bugging me. Currently when ever i cause a "display event" I define that term as things such as launching a fullscreen game, closing a full screen game, alt tabbing in and out of one, turning a display on/off, or connecting/disconnecting a display. There is a chance the system will freeze on a black screen and force a hard reset. The chance is decently high say ~33%. I was able to find a way to 100% reproduce it. Side note, I have 2 displays a monitor and the LG CX Full specs will be below somewhere.
1) turn on both the monitor and the CX.
2) Configure the CX as 3840x2160 10bit 120Hz RGB Full
3) turn off the CX
4) turn off the monitor
5) turn on the monitor
6) ta da the system is now frozen

Interestingly, If i configure the CX as 3840x2160 8 bit 60HZ RGB Full everything works fine. That setting would work on a HDMI 2.0 connection, if i use the settings in Step 2 (which requires a HDMI 2.1 then the problem can occur). I was able to test the CX and the HDMI 2.1 cable (its a Zeskit) with a Xbox Series X and a copy of Ori and the will of the wisps, which runs at 4K 10bit 120 HZ, it had no issues so its seems unlikely the cable or CX is the issue. Also have a second issue if the CX is setup as in Step 2, then as long the CX is off, the Monitor will not wake up. Meaning that the monitor works fine, but if it powers off (due to power saving feature), when you then hit the mouse it does not come back on, the back light comes on indicating that the monitor is receiving a signal, but you are just staring at a black screen. The system is not frozen though, you can use it just with no video, turning on the CX causes the monitor to resume showing video. Just as with the first issue, 3840x2160 8 bit 60HZ RGB Full works fine.

Anyone have an idea what is going on? I was thinking Driver issue. If the cable is bad, then why would that matter if the CX is already off? I've tried driver versions 461.72, 461.40, 461.09, 461.51, and the one that just released the other day. I've tried reinstalling windows as well. Note, the issue also happened on a clean install of windows with only the nvidia drivers installed on top, so 3rd party programs are not the cause. Also, tried a different monitor. Also, Event log viewer has nothing in it about either issue, don't know where else to look for logs.

I have hardware accelerated GPU scheduling turned on and Resizable BAR is enabled.

Specs
i9-9900KF
Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate (latest beta BIOS)
3090 FE
EVGA 1000W EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
All drivers up to date

Screens
LG CX latest fimware
LG 32ud99-w (32 inch 4K)

Solution
Today, I have a 48" LG OLEDTV
My gpu is a GTX1080ti which can only run the tv @60hz because of hdmi 2.0
I do have a ultra high speed HDMI cable.
I was looking for a 3000 series card with HDMI 2.1 so I could run at 120hz.
Obviously a problem since 3000 cards are all but unavailable.
If there is a problem, I want to follow this thread to see how it turns out.
My firmware is also 03.21.18 updated via the tv.
I also have a dp connected side monitor.
One minor issue that I have is with sleep mode.
Sleep/wake works fine and I see the message your input is not connected.
After some long period of time the tv powers off. I suspect about 30 minutes.
Then a wake activates the side monitor, but does not wake the TV until I power it on via the...
When you say latest firmware for the CX is that from the LG website or the TV’s internal update process. I had a problem with my C9 and 3080 supporting 4K 120Hz, it would flicker or black screen and only solution was a reboot of both TV and PC. The TV firmware update that fixed the problem was available on the LG website but not through the TV’s update process. I have no idea if the TV’s update process has caught up with the updates on the LG site.

Today, I have a 48" LG OLEDTV
My gpu is a GTX1080ti which can only run the tv @60hz because of hdmi 2.0
I do have a ultra high speed HDMI cable.
I was looking for a 3000 series card with HDMI 2.1 so I could run at 120hz.
Obviously a problem since 3000 cards are all but unavailable.
If there is a problem, I want to follow this thread to see how it turns out.
My firmware is also 03.21.18 updated via the tv.
I also have a dp connected side monitor.
One minor issue that I have is with sleep mode.
Sleep/wake works fine and I see the message your input is not connected.
After some long period of time the tv powers off. I suspect about 30 minutes.
Then a wake activates the side monitor, but does not wake the TV until I power it on via the remote.
Then, the old web pages show up on the tv and not on the side monitor where they should be.
If, however, I power on the tv first, wake behaves normally.
I think the root cause is that sleep causes a full power off after a(undetermined) time and does not leave the tv in a low power state that can respond to wake up.
I see no settings available to change this.
While this is a minor inconvenience, any info to fix it would be appreciated.
And, if there is any relevance to a 3070 upgrade, I would also want to know.

Solution

AppleCider

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
Seeing as how everything (for me at least ) works fine with an HDMI 2.0 signal but not with a HDMI 2.1 signal i think Nvidia has a bug or two in their code for it, HDMI 2.1 introduced a new signaling method. I have a ticket open with Nvidia about theese 2 issues, they said it was escalated to tier 2 but that was over 3 weeks ago, am getting impatient with them. If they ever get back to me, I'll be sure to post any relevant bits here. Hoping someone knows of another possibility other than Driver bugs for this behavior. I can work around the wake issue but not the system freeze issue.

Seeing as how everything (for me at least ) works fine with an HDMI 2.0 signal but not with a HDMI 2.1 signal i think Nvidia has a bug or two in their code for it, HDMI 2.1 introduced a new signaling method. I have a ticket open with Nvidia about theese 2 issues, they said it was escalated to tier 2 but that was over 3 weeks ago, am getting impatient with them. If they ever get back to me, I'll be sure to post any relevant bits here. Hoping someone knows of another possibility other than Driver bugs for this behavior. I can work around the wake issue but not the system freeze issue.

In many scenarios the issue isn’t with NVidia, I am not saying it isn’t with NVidia but I don’t think you can assume it is. From the searching I did when I first had problems there were HDMI 2.1 TV’s and AV receivers needing firmware updates to support RTX 3000 gpu’s and the latest gen consoles. There are some AV receivers that appeared to have a hardware level issue that couldn’t be fixed with a firmware update.

AppleCider

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
In many scenarios the issue isn’t with NVidia, I am not saying it isn’t with NVidia but I don’t think you can assume it is. From the searching I did when I first had problems there were HDMI 2.1 TV’s and AV receivers needing firmware updates to support RTX 3000 gpu’s and the latest gen consoles. There are some AV receivers that appeared to have a hardware level issue that couldn’t be fixed with a firmware update.
True, I'm plugging directly into the TV. I have a HDMI cable from a different brand coming in the mail today, just as a check. There some reviews on the Zeskit cable i have that it doesn't work with 4K 120. Worth a shot.

Reactions: sizzling

AppleCider

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
status update:

Cable fixed nothing, back to amazon it goes.
I have a server running off of an AM4 board, so i repurposed it as a test machine. I could not reproduce the freeze problems on it so that must be hardware related then. The strange screen wake behavior did happen but that's easy to work around. Put the server's ram into desktop and still got the freeze issue so the RAMs is not at fault. I don't have any other Expansion cards in the machine. So unless i forgot something (yes the drivers and BIOS's are all up to date) that leaves the motherboard or CPU. Tragically, i do not have any other spare motherboards or CPUs compatible with z Z390/9900k.

Edit: Asrock only has a 1 year warrenty :-(.

Last edited: