Question System freezes with sound buzzing for a second. Can't find a solution for over a year

Ekci

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hey, I have a Ryzen 3700X build that freezes for up to a second in random moments. The audio buzzes while the freeze happens. It happens in games and in Windows (with Twitch, Discord etc., don't know about idle). When I save the replay form Nvidia Experience I can see that there is no video or audio for a duration of a freeze. But when I import the mp4 to audacity I can see that actually there is the audio.

I have started on Asus PRIME B350M-A motherboard and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16 GB ram. Since then, I have upgraded to MSI B450M MORTAR AR MAX. My GPU is Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080. I have also formatted disks multiple times, used updated and non updated drivers etc. The memtest86 did not find any problems with ram, but I have tried running one of two sticks and in both variations the freeze happened. I have also borrowed a 650W PSU and it did not solve my problem.
The temps are OK, opening the case did not help. I have 65 while running multiple Cinnebenches.
The problem exists since I have bought Ryzen 3700X, my thought was that the motherboard is not able to handle new CPU. The new B450M seems to lower the frequency of freezes down to few per day. Do you know what may cause this?

TLDR: System freezes for up to a second with audio freeze. What did not help:
  • format
  • new drivers (over the year of updates)
  • new mobo
  • removing one stick of ram (tried both)
  • memtest86 no errors
  • borrowed power supply
  • temperatures of CPU are ok

Ekci

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
norcalsc, in TLDR, the format was listed as first thing I did.

Problem solved. I have used a LatencyMon app to monitor the freezes and found out that the driver storport.sys had a maximum execution time over 100 ms (now it's around 100 us).
After some googling I have found this page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-250
Removing the AMD SATA controller driver fixed all my problems :)