System Freezing New CPU

Mar 14, 2018
Hi all,
So here's my issue. I have purchased an AMD fx6300 for my rig. I ensured that the CPU was compatible with my motherboard (Asus m5a97 r2.0) and installed the latest bios.
This CPU replaces a Phenom ii x4 955 which works perfectly well with the stock cooler.
Upon installing the fx6300 I can boot into the bios and usually within a minute or so the system freezes.
Temperature of the cpu is around 37c
I have reset the bios (jumper method) to no avail.
I also had an fx4300 to try which exhibits the same symptoms but I could more or less boot into windows 10 for a few minutes before it froze.
Reverting back to the phenom the system runs perfectly.
I have taken out the 2 4gb sticks of ram and inserted one at a time which made no difference.
I am utilising a 600w psu

I'm thinking that my cooler could be the problem, it's stock amd with 2 copper pipes so I guess it's slightly more 'stock'

Would appreciate some pointers as this is driving me mad!

Thanks

hard to imagine the CPU overheating in the BIOS...is the cooler correct/adequate for the processor in question?

Is the CPU correctly identified in the BIOS when you get a display?

Look at your hardware revision of your motherboard, and, see if any cpu limitations exist for assorted revisions; possibly later revisions supported higher TDP CPUs, and perhaps you have an earlier MB that only supports 90 watt TDP, etc.

Sure the sticker was removed from bottom of heatsink, if applicable? (if it was a new cooler)

Mar 14, 2018
@mdd1963

Thanks for the reply

The motherboard can support this processor according to the specs on the website

Cpu reports correctly in the bios although I did note in the bios it only recognised 4gb of the 8GB of installed Ram (2x4gb g skill sticks)

I'm using a stock AMD cooler that has worked flawlessly with the phenom, do you think I need an uprated cooler

It's strange that when I put the phenom back in it works without a hitch

Any other ideas?

Mar 14, 2018
I under-clocked the CPU in the bios to 2.8ghz and i managed to boot into windows - i did get a BSOD a few minutes after booting successfully into Windows. This draws me to a conclusion that the PSU is perhaps failing in someway. The Bios is still only detecting half of the installed 8gb ram
I again re-installed the Phenom and all is good, bios reports the full 8gb Ram
Im considering buying a new 750w PSU tomorrow and see if this does the trick, unfortunately i cant borrow one so will have to take the plunge

Mar 14, 2018
A new PSU didn't do the trick.arghh

A friend mentioned something about Ram Timings - I honestly dont have a clue on this.
The Ram is Gskill DDR3 1333mgz 2x4gb modules
Can anybody point me to a resource for my mother board timing settings ?

TRENDING THREADS