Question System Freezing Under Load (PUBG)

Oct 4, 2021
Hi

My system has been freezing over the past couple of months when playing PUBG (The only game I play).

System is stable under normal conditions.

When the system freezes I have to hold the power button to switch off and back on again.

I have had a few 'Machine Check Exceptions' BSODs, but it generally just freezes up and requires a hard shutdown.

I have checked temps, tested RAM, re-seated CPU, RAM & GPU. Reinstalled GPU drivers (using DDU), changed the SSD, complete fresh install of Windows 10 & Drivers. Still the same thing keeps happening when on PUBG. It is intermittent and really frustrating!

System Spec:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1
CPU
Intel Core i7 880 @ 3.07GHz 27 °C
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (8-8-8-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7H57D-V EVO (LGA1156) 28 °C
Bios Version 1903
Graphics
LG ULTRAGEAR (2560x1080@144Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA) 29 °C
Storage
232GB Crucial CT250MX5 00SSD1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD))

PSU
Novatech Power Station V2 1000W (Purchased Oct 2017)
[EDIT] CorsairRM750x (Installed 04/10/2021)

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated. I have the time to be thorough with this, if anyone has the time to assist.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
That isn't exactly a reliably built PSU and you certainly don't need a 1KW of power for that build, more like 650~750W with an overclock. Source a reliably built PSU from Seasonic or Corsair from your friend or neighbor and see if the issue crops up again.

Dec 17, 2021
So I ran into the similar issue on my system my issue really only popped up when people were throwing smokes I dropped down to about one or two frames a second until the smokes went away. I had a guy give me a pretty in-depth guide, I did everything on the guide and my problems went away everything worked perfectly I'll send you what he sent me and if that doesn't work I would potentially recommend upgrading your CPU and RAM because they're well out of date for this game.

Dec 17, 2021
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
Disconnect from internet
Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:

Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot if it was turned on by default, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option if you want to (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), then save and exit.

boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot. Look up in Control Panel Uninstall a Program, find AMD Chipset Software, if its already version 4.03.03, then you're good to go.

Install the latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). If ram is 2 sticks only, put it on slot A2 and B2 (2 and 4). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step in orders.

Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow.

And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot

TRENDING THREADS