Question System/Games crashing because of PSU?

mordalum

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
Hello!

So, I just bought a new PC, all the parts are new except my 6 y/o PSU, which is be quiet! Pure Power l8 500W. View: https://imgur.com/a/VzRr3k3

Did the PSU calculations: https://outervision.com/b/YBRZ5q
It appeared my current PSU would be good enough so I went with it.
Now the system is working properly except it crashed 2 times when overburdened with multiple firefox tabs and apps running in the background, etc.
Windows event viewer shows 2 critical errors: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." :D:D:D

In addition I tried to play 2 video games.
Pillars of Eternity 2 freezes and crashes within 15 minuts in game
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - crashes in menu. And crashes in game with GPU downclocked a bit. (200 MHz). Both times giving me the: "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG" error.
Plus, my monitor is taking a really long time turning on when booting. Like 30 seconds.

Exact specification:
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Pro VDH Plus
  • PSU: be quiet! Pure Power l8 500W
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700
  • Memory: 2x 8GB DDR4 HyperX Predator 3200MHz
  • SSD 500 GB Crucial MX500
  • HDD 1TB 7200 RPM
  • 3 case 120mm fans
  • Scythe Mugen 5 CPU cooling
  • Monitor: ASUS VG279Q
All those things scream to me: PSU is not sufficient enough, but I'm a noob, so I have very little clue.

Is the not enough wattage PSU a problem?
If so what PSU would you guys recommend I should use? 600/650/700W?
I'll appreciate any help.

"Is the not enough wattage PSU a problem? "
This would be my main suspect.
You could run HWInfo, This app monitors the PSU voltages. You can even set it up to log the voltages. You want them to remain within +/-5% of +12, +5 and + 3.3V at idle and under heavy load.

If it were me I would just a buy a new quality PSU.....and I would size it at about 750 watts because I like overhead.....and I would recommend a Corsair 750 RMx because I am running two RMx units and I like them. Seasonic Focus is also a very good series.