[SOLVED] System glitching when installing dual monitors ?

Stealthmode220

Prominent
Jan 30, 2020
My specs: r7 5800x cpu
sapphire r9 280 dual-x OC 384 bit GPU
8x4 ddr5 RAM
b550 mobo
Zalman ZM 600-GLX PSU

My problem: Attempting to install the second monitor makes everything glitchy over time. White screens, glitches everywhere. And PC sometimes crashes and attemps to restart because of that. My GPU load is just fine since I don't do gaming while this happens. This happens randomly and increased over time in span of 1 week. It was only happening when I start the PC at first. Now it got worse.

How I plug in the monitors:
One of them with HDMI Cable The other is with a VGA cable and an active DisplayPort Converter.

Things I've tried:
  • Used just the main monitor: Everything is fine
  • Used just the second monitor: Everything is fine
  • Used another monitor for the secondary monitor: The glitches mentioned above still happens.
  • I've scanned my pc with mwbytes for malicious mining softwares. Clean.
  • I've checked some calculators for required power for this rig. It is around 534 W on peak.
  • I've updated the Graphics Card drivers Changed the power cord of both monitors. No effect.
In short, the monitors are fine when used individually. But everything goes to s. when plugged in side by side. I think the problem is either with GPU or PSU. But I can't really know which. And I don't have a spare GPU or PSU. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Solution
I would point fingers at the active display port adapter first before the rest of the hardware. Could be something not quite right there. Does your VGA monitor have any other inputs?

Does your active adapter require USB or external power? Might be causing an voltage to flow somewhere it shouldn't.

Unless you are running the CPU and GPU at 100%, probably no where near that power level, still, if the PSU and the GPU are as old as they look, might be something going wrong there, but I doubt it would do anything to the monitors (expecting high 5V or something and having a powered active adapter)

Hardware Monitor or checking in the BIOS should show you your PSU voltages.

May want to force your motherboard into PCIe 3.0 mode for the time...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would point fingers at the active display port adapter first before the rest of the hardware. Could be something not quite right there. Does your VGA monitor have any other inputs?

Does your active adapter require USB or external power? Might be causing an voltage to flow somewhere it shouldn't.

Unless you are running the CPU and GPU at 100%, probably no where near that power level, still, if the PSU and the GPU are as old as they look, might be something going wrong there, but I doubt it would do anything to the monitors (expecting high 5V or something and having a powered active adapter)

Hardware Monitor or checking in the BIOS should show you your PSU voltages.

May want to force your motherboard into PCIe 3.0 mode for the time being as well.

Solution