[SOLVED] System goes to a crawl suddenly

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hey Guys,

I built this pc 2 months back, not too many issues, however, I had this random black screen flash issue wiht my first LG monitor when Gsync was turned on, so I ended up uninstalling reinstalling video drivers many times(DDU was used), That din fix it, got a diff montior everything's been smooth.

However, the pc goes to a crawl suddenly, everything becomes incredibly slow, only a restart fixes it.

Has happened twice so far, only started after all the dduing and troubleshooting stuff I did for the black screen flashes.

Happened once when in game(siege, when finishing a game coming to the lobby with squad). now it just happened again when watching a youtube video) Firefox then crashed, had to restart pc to get things back to normal again.

What could be the reason? I sort of suspected the ssd at first and check crystaldiskinfo, came out with perfect health.

Gsync could have been engaged both times coz happened when in fullscreen, could it just be another gsync glitch.

Seems to be very random and rare.

Video below shows the issue

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zszRpGy-dVI

Last edited:
Solution
Below thread exactly explains my issue, seems to be common with ryzen 3000 processors and nvidia gpus

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

One comment from there :

"I'm having this problem too with Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multithreading in ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes"

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Running out of RAM could cause your issues. When you run out of available RAM and the PC has to swap to disk, things get REALLY slow.
Also, I remember the last time it happend when playgin siege, I came out finally and looked at the task manager to check if everything looked alright, I kept quiting program one by one to see if steam or uplay was causing it, nothing fixed it, ram usage was only 16 % or something at the time.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Alrite, event viewer says the below I guess two minutes before everything slowed

{The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table}

And the below event around when it slowed down

{Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered}

But there was no driver crash message for me and the monitor was active the whole time.

I am leaning towards a gpu issue.

Perhaps my overclock is causing it, don't know why it would though, coz at 100 % usage and benchmark it is stable.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
When you built this PC was it a clean OS install or a reused Windows install ?

It was a cloned image. From another pc I would presume(the store did it for me), guess its finally time to fresh install.

You think that could be it? and did you see my recent messages, Event viewer shows an nvidia driver thingy crashing and recovering, but the monitor does not lose signal I get display the whole time, Just want to rule out a hardware issue at this point really.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Well there is the first place to start. You can chase ghost problems forever with a reused OS install. Start with a new clean OS install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

You think that could be it? and did you see my recent messages, Event viewer shows an nvidia driver thingy crashing and recovering, but the monitor does not lose signal I get display the whole time, Just want to rule out a hardware issue at this point really.

kanewolf

Titan
Without a clean OS there is no way to know. Since the message talks about hardware that is not installed, I keyed in on the reused OS install.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Below thread exactly explains my issue, seems to be common with ryzen 3000 processors and nvidia gpus

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

One comment from there :

"I'm having this problem too with Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multithreading in ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes"

Last edited:
Solution